WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

404 not detected (5 posts)

1. bysse
    Posted 5 years ago #

I'm having trouble with my 404 page, it doesn't show.
    Every URL that i type in is accepted and only leads to an empty page with normal sidebar/menu.
    If i go to a page that shouldn't exist it returns 301 instead of 404 and the 301 points to the same URL as i entered.
    If i try to access /index.php?error=404 it just returns the main page.
    Does anyone have a clue?

This is the 404.php for my theme:

<?php get_header(); ?>
            <div id="content" class="narrowcolumn">
                    <h2 class="center"><?php _e('Error 404 - Not Found', 'minimalism'); ?></h2>
            </div>
    <?php get_sidebar(); ?>
    <?php get_footer(); ?>

And this is my .htaccess

# BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    </IfModule>
    # END WordPress

I'm also running WP Super Cache 8.7 but it makes no difference if i disable the plugin.

2. epoks
    Posted 5 years ago #

I have exactly the same problem. While I have permalinks activated, /index.php?error=404 throws me to the home page, but without permalinks it shows my custom 404-page. Does anyone have a solution?

3. spun2u
    Posted 5 years ago #

I'm having a similar issue. I recently moved my wp site to a new server and now it seems that most directories (images, cgi-bin, etc) send a 404 error even though the directs/files exist on the server.

4. bysse
    Posted 5 years ago #

A little update. When i check at the response codes from WP with FireBug when i try to get the page "http://mypage/sdfg" i get this:

301 Moved Permanently (which points to "http://mypage/sdfg/")
    401 Not Found

And then my 404 page doesn't show up. If i turn off permalinks it works as expected. Any thoughts?

5. jentorme
    Posted 5 years ago #

epoks, what do you mean by "when I have permalinks activated"?

Have you tried using different permalinks styles?

At first I thought this had to do with my use of "/%postname%/" but I've tried the default permalinks and still have the problem. No one seems to know the answer or is listening in these forums ... I'm doing archive searches and see the same question again and again for over a year, no answers. It's depressing!

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic

Tags