WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

404 in when doing some admin actions (9 posts)

1. codejunkie316
    Posted 1 year ago #

Hi,

Our website is showing 404 errors when deleting plugins, editing users in the users section like when changing passwords, and also when doing some admin actions in the control panel. I also checked the response by the server using google chrome dev tools and I can see its returning a 403 forbidden response. Do you guys have an idea why this is happening? Or maybe you guys know a fix for this? Thanks in advance for your responses.

2. David Choi
    Posted 1 year ago #

That usually happens if .htaccess is deleted from your WP site root, if permalink is turned on.

If it's not there, then just create one with a text editor with the following content:

# BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    </IfModule>
  3. codejunkie316
    Posted 1 year ago #

Hi WpHelpSupport.com,

Thanks for your response. I tried the solution you posted above. Unfortunately it didn't solved the problem. I also tried disabling all the plugins since this issue might be caused by a plugin, but it still didn't solved the issue. Anyway we upgraded our wp installation to the latest version using the upgrade button in the control panel, I thought its gonna solve the issue but it doesn't. I'm thinking of replacing all the wp core files w/ a new one manually. Do you think there is a difference between updating wp core automatically vs manually? Maybe replacing all the core files manually might solve our problem? What do you think?

Or maybe you have other suggestions that might solve the issue? Thanks again in advance! :)

4. esmi
    Forum Moderator
    Posted 1 year ago #

What happens if you switch to the default permalink structure?

5. David Choi
    Posted 1 year ago #

Do you think there is a difference between updating wp core automatically vs manually?

No, no difference.

Maybe replacing all the core files manually might solve our problem?

Uploading and replace the old files uing FTP, you are doing it manually.

Or maybe you have other suggestions that might solve the issue?

See if setting folder permissions to 755 solves the issue (recursively for subfolders too):

wp-admin
    wp-content
    wp-includes

6. codejunkie316
    Posted 1 year ago #

@esmi - Tried switching permalinks to the default structure but it doesn't solve the problem :/

@David Choi - I tried your suggestion in making the folder permissions to 755 but the issue still exists. Hmmm. Any other suggestions?

7. David Choi
    Posted 1 year ago #

Just wondering if it has to do with the hosting environment. Like web server permission (under which account permssion it's running). Contact your host support to see if they can find anything.

8. codejunkie316
    Posted 1 year ago #

@David Choi - Sure, we will contact our web host. Thanks for your help mate! Have a great day!

9. David Choi
    Posted 1 year ago #

Hope it gets solved. Have a nice day!

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic