WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

404 for readers when publising a new blog post (9 posts)

1. drewhawkins
    Posted 1 year ago #

I published a new blog post. When I'm logged into my site, I can read it and view it just fine. However, if I log out and try to view the same link or share that link with others (via Twitter, LinkedIn etc) a 404 message occurs. What would cause that?

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. candell
    Posted 1 year ago #

You haven't set it to private in the publishing options have you?

3. drewhawkins
    Posted 1 year ago #

I haven't no. It's public.

Here's the link I've tried to publish: http://www.brainwads.net/drewhawkins/2012/08/how-old-should-your-social-media-manager-be-who-cares/

4. candell
    Posted 1 year ago #

.htaccess rule?

5. Eric Holmes
    Posted 1 year ago #

Try going to Settings -> Permalinks and click "Update". Sometimes resetting permalinks will resolve an issue like this.

6. drewhawkins
    Posted 1 year ago #

@Eric tried clicking update with no luck.

@candell - .htaccess rule may be it. There are rules in my .htaccess file that are listed in the Permalink section in settings. Apparently I'm supposed to copy and paste these somewhere but don't know where to put the code.

Also, my home page is displaying the post now but not the individual link: http://brainwads.net/drewhawkins

7. Eric Holmes
    Posted 1 year ago #

This post is showing up for me now.

8. drewhawkins
    Posted 1 year ago #

Yeah, weird. My wife said the same. I'm wondering if it just takes an hour or two for it to completely populate?

9. Eric Holmes
    Posted 1 year ago #

It shouldn't. I assume the permalink reset did it's job, or perhaps you had scheduled the post for a later time than immediately?

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic