WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

404 for hidden pages in IE (2 posts)

1. jaybong
    Posted 5 years ago #

I changed my template a little so that it functioned more like a website and less like a blog. The homepage is a static page and the sidebar links are all hidden static pages (links to the pages in sidebar set up manually using the links feature).

The problem is that in IE 7 and Maxthon (haven't tested other browsers) the sidebar pages resolve to a 404, but in firefox (3) they correctly go to the page. If I remove the hidden attribute they show up fine in IE (see "case studies" which is in the sidebar and top navigation - hence not hidden)

I have the following plugins:
    Akismet
    Enhanced WordPress Contact form
    Filosofo Homepage Control
    Google Analytics (by Semiologic)
    SEO Title Tag

I have removed some code from various template (like removing the text when there are "no comments", and modified page.php so that recent blog posts show up in the footer of the pages. I kind of made it up as I went along so probably messed up something along the way.

The site is http://www.seo.co.nz and validates.

2. jaybong
    Posted 5 years ago #

I figured this out so I'm posting it here in case anyone else needs this.

For some reason Firefox was showing the private pages, so I assumed private meant that they wouldn't show up up the menu - but actually they weren't supposed be accessible at all.

To set it up so that the pages not be automatically put into the menu, change the line in header.php to this:

<?php wp_list_pages('title_li=&depth=1&exclude=3,6,9'); ?>

And change 3,6,9 to whatever page ID you want to hide.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic