• Bookewla

(@bookewla)

hi
    I have a number of wordpress installations. Last month I noticed a big number of 404 errors, in the high hundreds. When I looked at the error log I noticed that many of the URLs to posts, seemingly from search engine traffic, have ‘/none/’ appended on them.

I have trawled through all my sites and this error is appearing on all sites. I have tried disabling various SEO plugins to no real result. I don’t know where else to turn. It seems to have been happening since the 2.7 or 2.7.1 upgrade, I can’t be sure of the dates, and I’m very willing to accept that it’s a plugin doing the damage – just hoping someone else has seen this error and can give me a starting place to fix it. As you can imagine, it’s playing absolute havock with my traffic!

Sandy

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • whooami

(@whooami)

As you can imagine, it’s playing absolute havock with my traffic!

how?

seemingly from search engine traffic

what are the referers? what does seemingly mean? it is or it isnt. your logs ought to be telling you. so .. is it?

Thread Starter Bookewla

(@bookewla)

Good clarification 🙂
    What it’s doing is bringing traffic to a url that’s showing a 404 – as my site has loads of pages, traffic is coming in to a lot of different pages – and when the person gets to the page they get a 404, not the page they were expecting.

I’m guessing it’s search engine traffic, my logs don’t give me the referring source of each erroring URL – though I’m more than willing to accept that perhaps I’m not drilling down far enough.

Meanwhile, I am no closer to solving the /none/ add-on to my URLs….

whooami

(@whooami)

I’m guessing it’s search engine traffic, my logs don’t give me the referring source of each erroring URL – though I’m more than willing to accept that perhaps I’m not drilling down far enough.

this is what raw server logs are for.

it’s playing absolute havock with my traffic!

so then, you dont know this to be true?

this IS infinitely important, since IF the traffic is NOT coming from another source, there’s honestly no reason to spend any time fixing this

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘404 errors in my logs, has anyone seen this error?’ is closed to new replies.