WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

[resolved] 404 Error When Running Install Script (18 posts)

1. baemiller
    Posted 3 years ago #

I am trying to install 3.0.1 on the JustHost server. I uploaded the files manually, since they only have 3.0. When I ran the install script, it gave me a 404 Error Page Not Found. Any ideas, anyone?

2. Gisha James
    Posted 3 years ago #

URL?

May be you have uploaded the files to a sub directory.

3. baemiller
    Posted 3 years ago #

I checked with the host before install. The public_html directory is the root. That's where I put it.

4. Gisha James
    Posted 3 years ago #

Can you please give URL pf your site.

5. baemiller
    Posted 3 years ago #

Sure. It's http://hungryhappyhealthy.com. I'm a little confused now, though. When I just typed in the address without the /wp-admin/install.php it brought up the next page "Create a Configuration File." Does that mean it installed and for some reason I didn't need to type the /wp-admin/install.php? Can you tell I'm a newbie? : )

6. baemiller
    Posted 3 years ago #

So I clicked on "Create a Configuration File" and it gave me another 404 Error. I also tried http://www.hungryhappyhealthy.com but get the same results. Anymore ideas?

7. James
    Happiness Engineer
    Posted 3 years ago #

Your /wp-admin/ directory appears to either be missing, misnamed, or uploaded to the wrong directory. Either way, the /wp-admin/ directory isn't where it's supposed to be. Try downloading WordPress again and upload the directory.

8. baemiller
    Posted 3 years ago #

The /wp-admin/ directory is in the /wp-content/ directory. Is that not where it is supposed to be?

9. James
    Happiness Engineer
    Posted 3 years ago #

No, it's supposed to be outside of the /wp-content/ directory, just like it when you download WordPress.

10. baemiller
    Posted 3 years ago #

When I unzipped the file, it came up with a /wp-content and /wp-includes folder along with 25 other miscellaneous files. Inside the /wp-content directory is /wp-admin, /plugins, and /themes. The /wp-includes also has several subfolders in it as well. Does this mean there was a problem with unzipping or did I somehow skip a step?

11. James
    Happiness Engineer
    Posted 3 years ago #

Yeah, something went wrong when you unzipped the file. Here's how it should look:

http://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/tags/3.0.1

12. baemiller
    Posted 3 years ago #

Okay, fixed that problem. Now it won't recognize my database information.

13. baemiller
    Posted 3 years ago #

I just removed and re-made the MySQL database. Tried all the info again and it still doesn't recognize it. What could I be missing?

14. James
    Happiness Engineer
    Posted 3 years ago #

Double check the info you're entering with your hosting provider. 90% of the time, the DB_HOST value is wrong.

15. baemiller
    Posted 3 years ago #

I emailed them and they told me to use DB_host. Didn't work.

16. James
    Happiness Engineer
    Posted 3 years ago #

Lol, DB_Host is the variable in need of defining, not the definition. That would be like me telling you that "First Name" is my first name. I recommend asking them again. Maybe you'll get someone who knows what they're doing this time.

17. baemiller
    Posted 3 years ago #

I am already regretting my choice of webhost. So just for fun I used localhost and voila! It worked. Needless to say, the tech support could use some tech education. Thanks so much for all your help. Now on to putting in the bells and whistles.

18. James
    Happiness Engineer
    Posted 3 years ago #

You're welcome!

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic