WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

[resolved] 404 error when accessing subdomain dashboards (3 posts)

1. magdas
    Posted 1 year ago #

Hi there,

I'm trying to set up a multisite network that uses subdomains and domain mapping.

I successfully created the network (.htaccess and wp_config files were altered as needed). My provider does not allow for wildcard DNS so I manually created each subdomain I needed with my provider (Dreamhost). I added the sites in the network dashboard without any error messages.

But two things seem to be going wrong. Firstly, the sites that I created don't appear in the "My Sites" drop down menu at the top. If I click through to the sites page, the sites I created appear, but if I try to access their dashboard, I get a 404 message:

Not Found

The requested URL /wp-admin/ was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

It navigated to the right subdomain URL as far as I can tell, but that wp-admin folder doesn't exist there. It's as if the site creation didn't complete properly.

I haven't actually finished the domain mapping part yet, but surely the subdomain URLs should work and I should be able to access the dashboards before finishing that, right?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. There is no 'wp-admin' folder in the subdomains. It's virtual.

Two guesses.

1) You didn't manually point the subdomains right (Read http://elftest.net/multisite-subdomains-wildcards/ for how to do that)

2) The .htaccess isn't right after all.

3. magdas
    Posted 1 year ago #

Thank you for the Dreamhost-specific instructions. It was the wildcard domains after all. It now works!

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic