Support » Fixing WordPress » 404 error on my website

• Getting a 404 page not found on some parts of my site.

About a week ago i was getting a 404 page not found on my site hompage, i read the wordpress guide and it suggested that i publish a post to solve the problem.

That i did, and although the 404 page error disappeared from the Home page, the site ended up broken … I used to have widgets on the right hand side of the site BUT they have disappeared from the home page and they only appear on post pages.

The contact us and About us page are broken, they display a random article instead of our contact details and they contain a 404 error just above the page.

I contacted the guys who developed my theme [Themify] and they logged into my wp admin , changed the theme to a default wordpress theme but it didn’t activate…

They asked me to contact wordpress to see if anything can be done.

I have also spoken to my server – Godaddy and they told me that everything seems fine from their side.

the site is- http://www.africapublic.com/

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Moderator t-p

(@t-p)

Have you tried:

-deactivating ALL plugins temporarily to see if this resolves the problem. If this works, re-activate them individually (one-by-one) to find the problematic plugin(s). If you can’t get into your admin dashboard, try deactivating via FTP or SFTP or whatever file management application your host provides. If applicible, also remember to deactivate any plugins in the mu-plugins folder. The easiest way is to rename that folder to mu-plugins-old.
    – To rule out any theme-specific issue, try switching to the unedited default theme for a moment using the WP dashboard. If you don’t have access to your admin area, you can switch to the default theme by renaming your current theme’s folder in wp-content/themes and adding “-old” to the end of the folder name using via FTP or SFTP or whatever file management application your host provides. Alternately, you can remove other themes except the default theme. That will force your site to use it.
    resetting the plugins folder by FTP or PhpMyAdmin. Sometimes, an apparently inactive plugin can still cause problems (because the hooks remain unless plugins completely removed or some plugins stick around in cached files. So by renaming the folder, you break them and force them inactive).
    – If the above troubleshooting steps fail to resolve the issue, try manually re-uploading all files and folders EXCEPT the wp-config.php file and the /wp-content/ directory from a fresh download of WordPress. Make sure that you delete the old copies of files & folder before uploading the new ones. Read the Manual Update directions first!

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • The topic ‘404 error on my website’ is closed to new replies.