WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

[closed] 404 error on comments (9 posts)

1. Sylvara
    Posted 1 year ago #

Hi all,
    I'm running a blog at mmogypsy.com and lately more and more commenters tell me that they cannot leave comments but instead are re-directed to 404 error. the issue here is that this only happens for 'some' people and not others(!) it doesn't happen to me on any computer - which also makes it tricky for me to see if I fixed the issue.

I've already looked this up plenty and can rule out permalink issues or browser-related issues. wp-comments...php files exist on the server and so does .htaccess. I can also rule out plugins as I haven't installed anything in a long time.

Is there a chance that this issue might be host-related (I am using namecheap) or else exist at the user's end? can anyone else think of a fix that might work? many thanks!

2. Sylvara
    Posted 1 year ago #

Addendum: I might have narrowed something down here.

So, my friend who gets the 404 error gave me his login he uses to comment with (name + email). I try it out and behold, I TOO get the error. on the exact same browser window, I can post fine with my data but not with his (he uses a valid hotmail account).

so..here's what I do next: I change only his email. it works. now I change the email back to before (when it didn't work) and now it DOES work. next thing I try my own data again, and those don't work any longer. it's like...completely erratic?

this makes no sense to me. /lost
    what I can confirm is that I get the error myself unless I log in via WP admin panel first.

3. Sylvara
    Posted 1 year ago #

anyone encountered this issue before?

4. kmessinger
    Volunteer Moderator
    Posted 1 year ago #

It might have something to do with validation-129 Errors, 51 warning(s), http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3a%2f%2fmmogypsy.com%2f

and javascript errors.

Try cleaning it up first.

5. Sylvara
    Posted 1 year ago #

I'm not sure I know how to, sorry.

what I've done tonight is the following:
    - update wp
    - deactivate all plugins
    - change to default wp theme
    - restore permalinks default

there are still errors and I still get a 404 error when attempting to leave certain longer comments. i realize it might have to do with duplicate comments and I keep thinking the issue is on WP's side or my host. :(

I can basically leave some comments just fine but not others. it's nuts.

6. kmessinger
    Volunteer Moderator
    Posted 1 year ago #

It works with IE but not with Chrome or FF.

Can we see the site with all plugins deactivated and
    the default wp theme?

7. Sylvara
    Posted 1 year ago #

Done!

plugins folder is fully deactivated on the server. permalinks are default and theme is twenty twelve. does this help?
    I just tried to comment and I get an error despite all this:
    -------Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access /wp-comments-post.php on this server.
    Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.------

also, I cannot seem to export my blog via wp export function (may be a connected issue?). I only just realized this - I get the following error (from all browsers):

----Firefox can't find the file at http://mmogypsy.com/wp-admin/export.php?download=true&content=all&cat=0&post_author=0&post_start_date=0&post_end_date=0&post_status=0&page_author=0&page_start_date=0&page_end_date=0&page_status=0&submit=Download+Export+File.---

OR with IE

-The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
    Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@mmogypsy.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
    More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
    Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.-

:(((

8. esmi
    Forum Moderator
    Posted 1 year ago #

Try checking your site's error logs for a more specific error message. Your hosts should be able to help you in accessing your site's error logs.

And please do not bump your topics. That's not allowed here.

9. Sylvara
    Posted 1 year ago #

Yeah nevermind. I am going to get professional help.
    feel free to close this topic.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic