• I am not an expert in wordpress and am in need of assistance.

On the front page of my site, silentwrytes.com I wasnt there to be 20 posts, so I went to “SETTINGS”, “READING”, “Blog pages show at most” and I set it to 20

I realized, when clicking the link “older entries” I am getting a 404 page error. I reduced the “Blog pages show at most” down to 10 and it fixed a whole bunch of pages that had the 404 error, but on some pages I was still getting it, for example this link:

http://silentwrytes.com/?tag=snipe-icp

(so if you click OLDER ENTRIES at the bottom of the above link, you will get a 404 page error) and from what I can see, this directly relates to “Blog pages show at most”

The “Blog pages show at most” is still set to 10, if I reduce it to 5, it fixes the above link.

How do I keep the “Blog pages show at most” at 20 but not get 404 errors all over the place. I believe my lack of knowledge is hurting me on this topic and there must be a fix for this somehow.

Thank you for your time, I greatly appreciate any assistance.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Try setting it to show 20 and then update the permalinks? You might also want to try a different kind of permalinks. I like to set mine to /%category%/%postname%/

You should be able to display as many posts as you want on the home page, so 20 shouldn’t be a problem.

Thread Starter swrytes

(@swrytes)

Thanks for looking at my post Christine.

I followed your instructions (updated my permalinks to match yours) but I still have the error.

This is what I have come to realize.

The link that I showed above has 8 posts or “older entries”, if I set the “Blog pages show at most” to any number below 8, the 404 error goes away, but the problem is I want the “Blog pages show at most” to be at 20 because I want 20 posts to show on the front page. Obviously when I do that, its above 8, then I get the 404 error again on all posts that have less then 20 posts.

This just has me stumped…I feel so dumb LOL

I have such a desire to fix this that I am willing to paypal someone $20 that can provide me a working solution.

Thread Starter swrytes

(@swrytes)

I found a plug-in I am hoping will fix this issue. Thread closed for now.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘404 error in regards to "Blog pages show at most"’ is closed to new replies.