• Hi,

I have loaded wordpress on three different websites and going nuts as everytime I go to permalinks and put in the category /%category%/%postname%/ the system crashes and I get a 404 error, can someone please help me?

Patrick

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • URL please?

Thread Starter onlinejunkie

(@onlinejunkie)

http://halogen-oven.net/wp-admin/
    If you click on Permalinks you’ll see what I’m talking about

Patrick

Impossible to see it, can you provide your login and password, please ?

JUST KIDDING ALLRIGHT ? 😀

More seriously, you may need to CREATE an htaccess file, required by fancy permalinks structure, it might be possible your server didn’t create it for you.

On your hard disk : create a new text file.txt

Inside this, write

# BEGIN WordPress

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    </IfModule>

# END WordPress

Save it as htaccess.txt

Then use a FTP client to upload this file to the root of your blog’s folder.
    In there, rename (with a right click) your file to
    .htaccess

Reload the blog a few times, and maybe it will work at last.

Thread Starter onlinejunkie

(@onlinejunkie)

I appreciate your reply and good intentions but this is Chinese to me…On your hard disk : create a new text file.txt?? Where?

sorry

I have no intention of trolling you, honestly ! But it appears you’re lacking several of the basics here, to handle a blog as soon as it requires some maintenance.
    I suggest you to lasso a tech-adept friend or relative, attach him in front of your computer, and have him explain the stuff mentioned in the present post : file creation, file transfers by FTP 🙂

There is a lot of information here including permalinks,
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Main_Page

If you search the web there are thousands of sites with tutorials and videos on how to do thing.

The error you are getting now is because wp can’t find the wp-blog-header.php file. Did you move something?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘404 error in permalinks’ is closed to new replies.