Support » Networking WordPress » 404 Error: Can't figure out how to create a multi site network!

• Resolved multimule

(@multimule)

Hi, I’ve been having a very difficult time trying to figure out how to get a Multisite network running properly on my website. This is my second day of trying to set everything up correctly after deleting everything from my first attempt.

I’ve tried following the instructions step by step. But every time, I finish the setup and try to create new site on my network, I always get a page with a “404 Error File Not Found” message.

I’ve setup a wildcard sub-domain, I’ve activated WP multisite on the site I want to be a network, and I’ve followed the 3 steps for adding a blogs.dir folder, and adding additional code to the wp-config.php file and .htaccess file.

Now, I don’t know if this is an issue or not, but the domain I’m wanting to use in an add-on domain, meaning, it’s not the first domain I registered with my host (Bluehost, btw). Could that be the problem??? Also btw, I trying to create my multi site using sub-domains

Oh, and here’s what’s in my .htaccess file

# BEGIN WordPress
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^files/(.+) wp-includes/ms-files.php?file=$1 [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]
    # END WordPress

Thanks a lot guys

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Moderator Ipstenu (Mika Epstein)

(@ipstenu)

🏳️‍🌈 Advisor and Activist

You can use Multisite with an add-on domain, but the wildcards may be an issue.

Have you tried a subfolder version? Just in case that’s it?

Thread Starter multimule

(@multimule)

Hi,

When you say, subfolder version do you mean the Sub-directories version of multisite?

Moderator Ipstenu (Mika Epstein)

(@ipstenu)

Yeah, subfolder == subdirectory.

Thread Starter multimule

(@multimule)

No, I haven’t tried the sub-folder/directory way only because the sub-domain version is more suitable for me Search Engine Optimization wise.

I’ll probably give it a try though since I can’t figure out how to get it working with the sub-domains.

(@ipstenu)

There’s no SEO difference between subdomains and subfolders.

Note: I’m not saying you’ll be stuck with Subfolders, I just want you to try it and see if that magically fixes it so we can determine if it’s the install or the subdomains 🙂

I’ve been having the exact same problem, attempted some troubleshooting with no luck. Still unable to create sites with subdomains.

Switched to subfolders and it works fine.

would really prefer subdomains, though.

I just got it up and running on my site. There are several configs you’ll need to make sure are done when using Bluehost.

1. Make sure WordPress is installed on the ‘domain.com’ version and not the ‘www’ version.
    2. Also, be sure that there is not a conflicting .htaccess in the directory above, as you’re using an add-on, it will inherit the parent folder’s .htaccess, so you’ll have to either rename it or do some custom coding.
    3. When you make the wildcard subdomain, you’ve got to make sure the root or directory is the same directory as the root of your Network Main site. For example, if your main domain is domain1.com and the add-on is domain2.com, and within public_html/domain2/ then your wildcard subdirectory should be public_html/domain2/ when you create the wildcard subdomain.

This is working on the subdomain, it just took some wrestling. 🙂

I’m having the same problem as multimule but am trying to setup a multisite with subfolders using xampp and wordpress 3.4.1. I too have followed the instruction: http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network and get a 404 error on all new sites I create. Any help is greatly appreciated.

(@ipstenu)

Any time you can’t get subDOMAINs working but subFOLDERS works fine, it’s time to contact your webhost and ask if they support it.

GazL, make your own post 🙂 The moment you say ‘I have the same problem but…’ then you aren’t having the same problem, and you need your own post 🙂 We like it that way.

Thread Starter multimule

(@multimule)

Thanks for the feedback guys. I haven’t tried the sub-folders yet because I was having some down time issues with my websites, but I’ll give it a try.

@gazl, what host are you using? bluehost too? because from what I’ve seen from tons a Google searches, bluehost seems to be difficult to use when using sub-domain multi-sites.

@ipstenu (Mika Epstein), I’m going to give the sub-folders a try, but supposedly bluehost supports the wildcards as seen here https://my.bluehost.com/cgi/help/527

Anyway, thanks again everyone. I’ll post the result later of using the sub-folders, and if I ever got the sub-domains working.

(@ipstenu)

FWIW, you can validate the functionality of your wildcard subdomains without WP.

Go to klhdfklhdfas.domain.com (something totally fake) and see where it send you. If it’s the Bluehost error page, or a 404, something’s up.

On Multisite, it should send you to the signup page.

Thread Starter multimule

(@multimule)

Update!

Ok, I finally got my multisite working properly with sub-domains. What I did was contact Bluehost support and I told them what was going on and they fixed it. Apparently, my wildcard sub-domain was not actually pointing to my domain root folder.

Instead it was pointed to a folder name “wildcard” which in Bluehost is the default folder assigned when you create a wild card domain unless changed.

So, when you’re creating you wildcard sub-domain, when you enter “*”, in the sub-domain box, make sure before you click the create button, that the format is like this “/public_html/mysite.com” and NOT “/public_html/Wildcard”.

After that you should be able to easily have your multisite sub-domains created in the format “test.mysite.com”.

BTW, I did try the sub-folder version of multisite and it actually did work great. Me personally, I just wanted the sub-domain version.

Anyway, thanks a lot to everybody that replied trying to help. Greatly appreciate it. Hope my experience and explanation can help others.

Thanks again

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘404 Error: Can't figure out how to create a multi site network!’ is closed to new replies.