• hippoadmin

(@hippoadmin)

Hi there, I was updating a document on the site and it has crashed and is returning 404 errors for nearly ever page. Depending on the browser I’m using I can access certain pages?? Eg: Mozilla lets me access the web booking page (this is a hotel website), Explorer nothing at all, Chrome 3 sub headings within main menu selection on home page.

I restored an autosave of the document page I was updating – could this have caused the problem? I am not at all tech savvy and have tried restoring the default permalink setting then restoring the custom one that was set to /%category%/%postname%. This had been suggested in other posts but didn’t fix the problem.

Please help! I will need step-by-step guidance as I only access the admin site to upload new media and nothing else yet it crashed while I was doing this…

website is http://www.museumhotel.co.nz.

Thank you!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Krishna

(@1nexus)

Deactivate all plugins and revert to the default theme and see if it helps. Use FTP or hosting control panel to make changes in you cannot access your dashboard.
    BTW, you are on WordPress 3.3.1 – not 3.5.x as you indicate. Try to update.

Thread Starter hippoadmin

(@hippoadmin)

thank you – I just assumed it was 3.5 – wasn’t entirely sure! I’m unfortunately the only person here at the moment able to access the site and have no idea whats going on! If I do the above will all the pages, media etc still be as it currently should be? Or will I have to upload/reset everything?

I’m a complete novice and its a public holiday here so still waiting for tech support to get in touch!

Thanks – any help is appreciated!

(@hippoadmin)

Just tried to deactivate the plugins first with bulk action then individually and kept getting the same page error:

Server error
    The website encountered an error while retrieving http://www.museumhotel.co.nz/wp-admin/plugins.php?action=deactivate&plugin=cforms%2Fcforms.php&plugin_status=all&paged=1&s&_wpnonce=56f1cd891f. It may be down for maintenance or configured incorrectly.
    Here are some suggestions:
    Reload this webpage later.
    HTTP Error 500 (Internal Server Error): An unexpected condition was encountered while the server was attempting to fulfill the request.

Any ideas? I have no problem logging in out of the dashboard however.

(@hippoadmin)

Ok so now can’t access the webpage or the admin page – coming up with an internal server error 500. Have 2 websites running with same web hosts, one above has completely crashed, 2nd one is running fine with no visible problems….?!

deleted

(@thecellarroom)

login in with FTP and have a look for your error logs. this will help pinpoint what is causing the 500 error. chances are it’s plugin or theme related. have you added anything new recently?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘404 error’ is closed to new replies.