• Hello, I’m in the process of trying to get a site up using the multi-site feature. I know this error has happened to many others but I think I’ve about tried everything from these forums plus any blog referencing the problem I can find. So far I have removed my install and done a fresh install, followed the instructions multiple time, changed my .htaccess information on multiple occasions, sucessfully setup my wildcard subdomains (subfolders are not an option with my host but it does support subdomains for multi-site WP) Reverting back to exactly what the network install says I have the following in .htaccess

#BEGIN WordPress

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^files/(.+) wp-includes/ms-files.php?file=$1 [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

#END WordPress

WordPress is installed into the root directory of the new website but it is not the first website hosted on the account (I have attempted to changed the .htaccess in the root of my account but that returns a internal server error)

What could I possibly be doing wrong?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Thread Starter lemmamari

(@lemmamari)

I should clarify I can create a site and edit a site’s info using the network dashboard but dashboard for the new site and the actual site bring up a 404 not found error.

Moderator Ipstenu (Mika Epstein)

(@ipstenu)

🏳️‍🌈 Advisor and Activist

If you have your account installed in (say) user/domain.com/ and that’s the root for that domain, then your .htaccess goes there.

Is your main site giving you a 404.

Is the 404 error formatted to look like your site’s theme, or a more generic server error?

Thread Starter lemmamari

(@lemmamari)

yes, my .htaccess is in the root for that domain.

My 404 is generic. I have done multiple installs (and uninstalls) and on each time I have had no issue w/ the main site.

Moderator Ipstenu (Mika Epstein)

(@ipstenu)

🏳️‍🌈 Advisor and Activist

A generic server error implies you didn’t get your wildcard subdomains set up correctly.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘404 Error’ is closed to new replies.