WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

404 Error, 403 Forbidden Error and .htaccess Issues (3 posts)

1. dr-seahorse
    Posted 1 year ago #

I'm getting 404 Error when I try to go to my WordPress blog EffectiveLeadership.com. And when I try to log into it as an administrator at http://effectiveleadership.com/wp-admin/ I get

"Forbidden You don't have permission to access /wp-admin/ on this server. Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

I contacted GoDaddy, as they keep the registration of my domain, and they responded:

"Thank you for contacting Online Support. I understand you are concerned about the site not resolving. Testing the account we found the .htaccess file is the cause of the issue. The file is scripted to block all access to the site content. When disabling this file by renaming it a new .htaccess file was automatically added with the same script. We then disabled the script by adding a # to the line to omit it. You will need to review your site script and configuration to determine why this is being done automatically and resolve the issue."

This began yesterday. I posted a new blog entry and all was well. Then I updated my pluggins, and this happened. I suspect a connection. I have never used FTP or done anything fancy with this site. I've only used the web interface to change things as I know I'm not competent with this stuff, so this is a bit surprising.

Please help.

2. Doodlebee
    Posted 1 year ago #

Have you tried deactivating and reactivating your plugins to see which one makes this happen? Sounds to me like a plugin issue (you updated your plugins, and then the .htaccess thing happened again).

FTP isn't something to be feared. All it is is basically opening a directory or file, just like you do on your computer. The only difference is you're accessing it on another "computer" elsewhere, so you need a secure connection to access and change it. not a big deal. There's lots of FTP programs out there if you don't have one. My personal favorite is Filezilla, and you can set it up to show "hidden" files (like .htaccess).

What I'd do is FTP in, create a new folder in your plugins directory, drag all your plugins into it (this will deactivate all of them), then rename my .htaccess file to ".htaccessBAK". You should be able to gain entry into your site, and all your plugins will be deactivated. Go back to FTP, drag all of your plugins out of the temporary folder and back into the plugins directory, and then you should be able to activate them one at a time and see which one messes everything up.

3. dr-seahorse
    Posted 1 year ago #

Shelly, you're a total rockstar. Thank you!!!!
    It worked perfectly!

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic