Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Plugin Author Max GJ Panas

(@max-gjp)

Do you always get a 404 error page, or does it appear only for users logged in via WP-Members?

Is the plugin fully activated, or fully deactivated when you get the 404s?

Were you required by the plugin to go through the “extra activation steps” when activating Media Vault?

Can you post the Media Vault rewrite rules found in your .htaccess files when the plugin is active?

Thanks, I hope I can help!

Hi, Max, and thanks in advance for your help. I’m having similar issues.
    1) I’m using a separate plugin to protect the privacy of a page, but I fully deactivated that other plugin, and the issue with 404s still persisted (so I reactivated that other plugin, to protect my page again).
    2) In any case, whether I am logged in or not, and whether I have this other plugin activated or not, makes no difference: I always receive 404 errors when I access a media file that is protected by Media Vault (also does not matter whether File Access Permission is set to Logged-in users or Default, which is the same: logged-in users). Media Vault is fully activated.
    3) YES I DID have to go through the “extra activation steps” of adding to .htaccess:

# BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ – [L]
    # Media Vault Rewrite Rules
    RewriteRule ^wp-content/uploads(/_mediavault/.*\.\w+)$ index.php?mgjp_mv_file=$1 [QSA,L]
    RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} ^(?:.*&)?mgjp_mv_download=safeforce(?:&.*)?$
    RewriteRule ^wp-content/uploads(/.*\.\w+)$ index.php?mgjp_mv_file=$1 [QSA,L]
    # Media Vault Rewrite Rules End
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    </IfModule>

# END WordPress

Again, thanks so much for your help.

Plugin Author Max GJ Panas

(@max-gjp)

hey mary,

I’m sorry you are having these problems. I hope I can help!

Media Vault’s method of protecting your files is (1) to redirect requests for the files in the Media Vault directory to be processed by WordPress and (2) to “catch” those redirects and then process them with Media Vault’s file handler script.

Since your .htaccess rewrite rules look good, the problem must be with the second of the two aforementioned steps.

Does your theme have a 404 page and is the 404 page you get when trying to access the media your theme’s 404 page (does it look like the rest of your site), or is it a simple message, probably in a white box on an otherwise empty page, reading 404. File not found.?

Hello, Max
    The problem seems to have resolved. I deleted everything from .htaccess, deleted the Media Vault plugin, restored my database from before all the changes, and started over, and now all seems to be in order. I wish I had paid closer attention (so I’m not sure about this), but I see that the file path now contains _mediavault. Before, I was using files that had been added BEFORE installing the plugin. In the admin panel, it worked to add protection to them, but then I was trying to access them with the old file path. So, between noticing this change, and starting fresh, all seems to be in order. Again, thank you so much. Resolved.

Thread Starter mutrux

(@mutrux)

I fixed the problem by disabling one of the widgets I installed after Media Vault, disabling Media Vault, and then enabling them again.

Plugin Author Max GJ Panas

(@max-gjp)

Hey mutrux, mary,

Glad everything is working, and if you have any more issues don’t hesitate to post them in the support forum and I will do my best to help get them sorted.

If you have found the plugin good & useful, please consider leaving a review, it would help me out alot!

Thanks!

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘404 error’ is closed to new replies.