WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

[resolved] 403 Forbidden WAMP + WordPress (12 posts)

1. Kokohusky
    Posted 11 months ago #

So I've recently tried to install wordpress, and it works fine on my localhost, posting and viewing and navigating but if I try accessing from the outside (www.kokohusky.net) I get a 403 forbidden access error and all the other posts I've looked at haven't quite been helpful.
    Anyone know any possible solutions?
    Current .htaccess:

# BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    </IfModule>

# END WordPress

2. Tara
    Posted 11 months ago #

404 indicates failure to communicate with the server.
    - it could be configuration issue
    - it could be memory issue
    - it could be permalinks issue, review this: How to fix 404 error when using Pretty Permalinks? - it could be optimization issue
    - it could be a conflict with plugin: try resetting the plugin folder - it could be a conflict with theme: try switching to the default theme for a moment via FTP and see if that resolves the issue.
    - check for .htaccess file presence and check if the default wordpress mod-rewrite code is there or not. There are times when .htaccess file is not writeable or gotten deleted
    - Check the server error log for your hosting account. Ask your hosting provider for assistance to locate them.

3. Kokohusky
    Posted 11 months ago #

It's not a 404 Issue, It's a 403 issue, It can talk to the "Server" (My computer) Just fine. It Doesn't have access, IT's saying forbidden.

4. Kokohusky
    Posted 11 months ago #

Permalinks have not been modified, plugin folder has eben reset, htaccess file does not have mod-rewriten code. And it's a WAMP server (MY server) so whereabouts would I find these "Logs"?

5. catacaustic
    Posted 11 months ago #

Check on WAMP to see if it is 'Online' or 'Offline'. Just hovering over the icon in your taskbar will show you either 'WAMPSERVER - Server Offline' or 'WAMPSERVER - Server Online'. If it's not online then you will need to click on the icon and select 'Put online'. This will allow the Apache server to accept connections from outside of your local PC.

The log files should be stored under each service, so you can see the Apache logs in the Apache menu area, PHP logs in the PHP area and MySQL logs in the MySQL area.

6. Kokohusky
    Posted 11 months ago #

Woo, Wow I didn't realise green was still offline mode, that fixed it completely, Thank you very much!

7. catacaustic
    Posted 11 months ago #

Yeah I know. In the older version the icon changed when you changed between online/offline. The new version doesn't do that, so it creates a whole lot more confusion. Probably something that we should point out to the WAMP people.

8. Kokohusky
    Posted 11 months ago #

Ok theres a new problem though, People can't see my pictures or any layout I've applied (www.kokohusky.net) to see. any idea on how I would fix this?

9. catacaustic
    Posted 11 months ago #

Simpel to fix. Well, as simple as it can get...

You didn't change the URL of the site. WordPress can only handle one URL at a time, so when it's set for localhost, everything will point ot localhost, not your domain.

As an example, your site is trying to pull the stylesheet from http://localhost/wp-content/themes/teal/style.css

The easiest way that I've found to change this is using this search-and-replace tool. it works pretty easily - but always remember to delete it after you've used it... just in case.

10. Kokohusky
    Posted 11 months ago #

Alright, Thank you so very much for all your help, I'm pretty new to all this so it certainly takes some gettin-used to

11. Kokohusky
    Posted 11 months ago #

So am I just replacing all localhost strings with kokohusky.net? (I tried that and it seems to have had a pretty negetive affect, thankfully backed up)

12. Kokohusky
    Posted 11 months ago #

nevermind I solved it, thanks!

You must log in to post.

About this Topic