• After a failed upgrade from 3.9.1 I tried to do a manual upgrade with filezilla. After successfully copying all of the files I can no longer access my admin area (403 forbidden) and my blog is down (500 error) what should I do to troubleshoot?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Do you have a link to your site? Is the rest of the site still up and running? Do you have access to your host server so you can check file permissions, which user and group own the files and look at the logs?

Thread Starter kaelabelle

(@kaelabelle)

Hi!!!! Thank you so much for responding I am a newbie here and near tears trying to figure out what I broke….

http://lachicapaleo.com

The entire site is down 🙁

I have access to my host and can look at/ modify files and permissions both on the host and through filezilla

currently trying a re-manual install to see if it fixes anything

I would suggest checking what the error logs say. Post the error in here if you need help understanding them.

(@kaelabelle)

Ok with my second attempt to manually upgrade I had the same error as I did with the automatic update:

unable to copy .: wp-includes/fonts/dashicons.woff

Should I try to reinstall wp3.9.1 and hope that this problem gets fixed in the future?

(@kaelabelle)

OK I skipped the files that couldn’t be transferred and magically am back up and running….

however I still have the nag reminder to upgrade to 3.9.2 and I am afraid to click it and have the same problem again???? I manually upgraded with 3.9.2 so it should go away?

My brain hurts!

Glad you got it back up and running, I would but always back up your database and files before you do the upgrade. If you have full update it is much easier to get back to square one.

(@kaelabelle)

I have a full backup available but glad that I don’t need to use it…. what do you think about the nag to upgrade still being on my dashboard? should I click it?

lalala playing with fire….

worst part is that I still don’t know what went wrong!

Kaelabelle, I had the same problem.
    I finded that it is a permission problem from the files.

This is how I solved it:

1) Went to my ftp server.
    2) Changed the permissions of wp-login.php from 644 to 744

And it solved haha

Good luck !

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘403 forbidden for wp-admin and 500 error on webpage’ is closed to new replies.