WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

403 Forbidden Error (15 posts)

1. volatyle
    Posted 8 years ago #

So I'm trying to edit my footer.php file in the theme editor panel in wordpress when I get this error suddenly

"Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access /wp-admin/theme-editor.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. "

What the hell? How do I not have permission suddenly?

2. vkaryl
    Posted 8 years ago #

A "suddenly" when nothing else has changed can often be something your host did unexpectedly. Have you asked your host if they changed anything?

3. volatyle
    Posted 8 years ago #

Yeah she doesn't know.

Note: This error only happens on the footer.php

I can edit other pages just fine but I have no permission for this one?

4. vkaryl
    Posted 8 years ago #

Well, can you simply edit it for now through cPanel (or whatever you have) File Manager? Have you checked the file permissions on footer.php btw? Should be 666 minimum, and depending on server, might need to be 777.

And when you're done editing, PLEASE set all the files back to 644!

5. volatyle
    Posted 8 years ago #

No matter what permissions are used for it, it still does not work. cPanel says I don't have the right permissions either so I can't edit it there. I suppose I could manually edit it.. but there has to be a reason why this is happening to this single file.

6. Kalen
    Posted 8 years ago #

this is happening to me as well... and began happening after i upgraded to 2.0

7. citeewurkor
    Posted 8 years ago #

I got that error one time, because I had some white space in one of the files I edited. Specifically, one of the core files.

8. volatyle
    Posted 8 years ago #

What file was that?

I havent upgraded yet..

9. citeewurkor
    Posted 8 years ago #

I'm sorry volatyle, I can't remember exactly which one it was.
    A lot of times when I use Cpanel to edit core files, it will add an extra line at the bottom of the file, sometimes even 10 or more. This can generate all kinds of weirdness.
    I would go through each one, one by one, and make sure there are no blank lines at the bottom.
    But be very careful! And be sure you have backups.

10. volatyle
    Posted 8 years ago #

Okay, so I re-uploaded the footer.php that came with my theme and it is working again but I had a ad script in there and wherever I put it, thats when it gives me this forbidden error. I've had it in there before so I'm not sure why its not working now. Wierd.

11. citeewurkor
    Posted 8 years ago #

does this happen in the default theme, too?
    try switching to the default theme, and try editing that theme's footer and see what happens.
    And then switch back, of course, so your site isn't ugly for a long time! :)

12. citeewurkor
    Posted 8 years ago #

wow, that IS weird. Where is the script from?

13. volatyle
    Posted 8 years ago #

It's a simple script I got from http://javascript.internet.com

I changed to default, put the script in there and it doesn't work as well.

Is there a plug in out there that any of you know that is good for ad rotations? I have a header rotation working but I cannot put links in there.

Thanks.

14. citeewurkor
    Posted 8 years ago #

There's several I think. You'll have to do a search on it. Can't promise WP2.0 compatibility, though!
    :)

15. roberlan
    Posted 8 years ago #

When i try to put scripts (like flickr badge, for example) on header or sidebar on my blog, i got this message:

"Forbidden You don't have permission to access /wp-admin/theme-editor.php on this server.
    Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

theres any way to solve this problem?

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic

Tags

No tags yet.