WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

403 error when trying to edit custom files and plug-ins (6 posts)

1. juliebird
    Posted 4 months ago #

Hi! I am receiving this error when attempting to edit custom files or the couple of plug-ins I've installed:

--
    Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access /wp-admin/admin.php on this server.
    Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    --

Help! I manage to fumble through web design with WordPress pretty well, but I am NOT well-versed in the language that I see on most of this forum. I would very much appreciate someone giving me the idiot's guide to solving this issue. I very much need to finish the site I'm working on and this is a huge bummer. :-(

Site: http://www.sdrebuilders.com

2. alysonearl
    Posted 4 months ago #

When you say that you are trying to edit custom files, are you talking about files you've created within a child theme or the original theme or plug-in files?
    https://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes

3. juliebird
    Posted 4 months ago #

Thank you so much for responding!

I am working with the Thesis theme and I'm trying to edit the custom files that are part of the original theme. The plug-in files I'm trying to edit are from the original plug-ins. Am I better off following the steps shown in the link you posted?

I have three other sites up and running with NO problem whatsoever (same WP version and same theme) and I'm able to edit custom files and plug-ins with no issue. I have no idea why all of a sudden this is happening on this site.

4. alysonearl
    Posted 4 months ago #

Child themes are the way to go.

5. juliebird
    Posted 4 months ago #

Thank you, Alyson... I will try this. Your response is SO appreciated. I'll come back and post to let you know whether or not it solves the problem. :-)

6. alysonearl
    Posted 4 months ago #

I look forward to hearing from you!

You must log in to post.

About this Topic

Tags

No tags yet.