• Resolved DaisyMariposa

(@daisymariposa)

I signed up for WordPress via Network Solutions last night. This morning, I edited the Permalink for the Pretty URL. As soon as I did that, the Dashboard crashed.

I can’t access anything. When I try to log in, I receive a 403 error message “The website declined to show this webpage.” The “most likely cause” that’s listed on the 403 error page is “This website requires you to log in.” (Huh? What I’m trying to do is log in!)

I’m new to creating blogs, but I’m not new to the Internet and Web design. Is there anything I can do to resolve the problem while I’m waiting for Network Solutions to reply to my e-mail?

Thanks for your help.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Moderator t-p

(@t-p)

πŸ™‚

Moderator t-p

(@t-p)

-try switching to the default theme to rule out any theme-specific issue.

If you don’t have access to your admin area, then access your server via FTP or SFTP.

Then, Try re-saving your permalink structure at Admin panel>>>Settings>>>Permalinks. If WordPress cannot automatically edit the .htaccess file, it will provide manual instructions after saving.

Also review:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Permalinks
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Permalinks#Where.27s_my_.htaccess_file.3F

Moderator t-p

(@t-p)

Thread Starter DaisyMariposa

(@daisymariposa)

@t-p

I appreciate your taking the time to reply, but as I said earlier I signed up for the blog via Network Solutions, a blog and Web hosting company. I do not have access to a server via any route (neither FTP nor SFTP).

As i said in my last message, I can’t log in. I can’t access anything. I can’t get to the Dashboard. When I try to log in, I receive a 403 error message “The website declined to show this webpage.”

I used the default theme. All I did was change the Permalink from the Ugly URL to the Pretty URL. That’s all. The site crashed. I haven’t even had a change to post any messages.

Moderator t-p

(@t-p)

talk to to your hosting provider. Generally most of the hosting providers do provide access either via their admin area or via your FTP software like filezilaa, etc. Network Solutions have been around for a long time. If I were you, I will contact them.

When you contact them, also ask them if they have backup of your site. If they do, then ask them to restore it back to the point before this current problem arose.

(@daisymariposa)

@t-p

Thanks for your reply.

As I mentioned in my first message, I was trying to see if I could do something on my own while I was waiting for Network Solutions to reply to my e-mail.

One thing I did mention in my e-mail to Network Solutions was to ask that they reset everything back to the starting point. I’ve been using Network Solutions for more than 10 years for Web hosting. I know they’ll resolve this.

(@daisymariposa)

Is there anyone in this forum whose blog is hosted by Network Solutions?

If “yes,” did you experience any problems when you edited the Permalink for the Pretty URL? My blog crashed when I changed the Permalink, and now I can’t access anything.

When I try to access the Dashboard, I receive a 403 error:
    The website declined to show this webpage (HTTP 403).

I’ve sent three e-mail messages to Network Solutions, and I haven’t received a reply. I haven’t called Network Solutions because their Customer Support operation is located off-shore, and I have great difficulty understanding the accent of the people who answer the phone.

(@daisymariposa)

Finally! Network Solutions made some server corrections, and I now have access to everything.

just had this happen to me on a client’s website. What did they have to do? Was it anything you could do from the account manager on network solution?

I had to delete my .htaccess file to get my site to come back up. It didnt even like a blank .htaccess file.

UPDATE! hope this helps someone else.

I installed wp in a sub directory. I put the .htaccess file in the root and referenced that subdirectory in the .htaccess file and it worked fine.

so my .htaccess looks like

# BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /v2/
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /v2/index.php [L]
    </IfModule>
    # END WordPress

@greggh that would work fine if NetworkSolutions provided FTP or SSH access to the install. Unfortunately, they don’t. We have the same issue and they told us we have to re-install. After some push-back, they agreed to file a ticket with NS engineering. Hope they can fix it…

@rikard – Id suggest either leaving NetSol but at the least I would upgrade to a hosting account with ftp access.

@greggh Hadn’t I just spent half a day migrating from blogger and getting this all setup, I would do it. I even told the support person that I would switch to GoDaddy, who provides FTP access for the same fee. NetSol should just get serious about this and upgrade the package at least to be on par with other WP hosting offers. Thanks for the advise (.htaccess) though, it may come in handy πŸ˜‰

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘403 Error Message’ is closed to new replies.