• Hi everybody, i got a little problem with my new wordpress installation and despite my not-so-good english i someone can help me:

Installation works fine and if i keep my .htaccess file blank and do not change the permalink strucure everything works fine.

But if i let wordpress write my htaccess file all folders and files (even existing ones which stand in no relation to wordpress) are not accessible any longer.

Error message:
    403 – Forbidden
    Forbidden
    You don’t have permission to access / on this server.

Anyone got an Idea how i can fix this?
    Thanks in advance
    Kiraa

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Hi,

exactly the same happened to me a view minutes ago. To save the nerves of others to who the same might happen, here how I resolved it.

So the last thing which happened, before the site stoped working was that the admin page modified the .htaccess.
    Therefore I started an ssh session with my terminal to the server, navigated to the base directory of wordpress and opened the .htaccess.
    It has a line which says:
    RewriteEnginge On Find this line and change it to RewriteEngine Off then save and exit the .htaccess file.

Now you could change back the admin page – if you remember how to access it 😉
    If not, this should work: http://www.yourownfancywordpressdomainname.com/wp-admin/options-permalink.php

Luckily I had it still in my other browserwindow 🙂

So with this, I was able to change it back to default. At least something. But if someone could give a hint why it does not work to change the permalink to i.e. “Day and Name”, that would be great.

rgds,

Ykä

And this sticky note here unfortunately has not solved my problem. Seems I need to wait for 2.6.1 then?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘403 Error after activating .htaccess’ is closed to new replies.