WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

403 emergency (8 posts)

1. smurfyyy
    Posted 1 year ago #

i was editing the .htaccess now its 403 forbidden, checked the permissions with the host and its fine any help?

http://www.velvetmonster.co.uk

.htaccess file:
    <Files ~ ".*\..*">
    order allow,deny
    allow from all
    </Files>

where exactly should .htaccess be? i have no idea.

2. ClaytonJames
    Posted 1 year ago #

.htaccess should be in the root directory of your WordPress site.

What were you trying to accomplish or prevent with the above file?

3. smurfyyy
    Posted 1 year ago #

i have no idea, i never wrote it i dont even know what it is, i simply copy and pasted it. and where should it go? i have no idea all i want is my website to function normaly again :(

4. ClaytonJames
    Posted 1 year ago #

That file appears to be where it should be (although it shouldn't be visible in a browser, but currently is because of it's content). Simply removing the contents of that file and saving the changes should probably let you operate WordPress with the default permalink structure. The you can start from there.

5. smurfyyy
    Posted 1 year ago #

removing the contents? sorry i am seriously not at all educated in any of this. so i clear the whole file? please talk to me in as basic steps as you can, but i REALLY appreciate you even reply to me :)

6. ClaytonJames
    Posted 1 year ago #

You're on the right track. Yes, remove the contents of the file, as in just make it blank. Just delete everything you put in it, and then save the changes and leave the blank file there. If that file is the only issue, then WordPress should become visible again.

7. smurfyyy
    Posted 1 year ago #

okay, its empty, but still nothing :'( anything else you think could help?

8. ClaytonJames
    Posted 1 year ago #

I see 404 errors where there should be files and images in some spots. It almost appears as though some of your WordPress files are missing. You could try re-uploading the WordPress files. Or you might skip right to asking the support group at your hosting service for assistance.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic