• jhcnewmedia

(@jhcnewmedia)

Hello community, qTranslate plugin is not working on WP 3.9, I could update it with no problems till the 3.8.3 version using the method define(‘QT_SUPPORTED_WP_VERSION’, get_bloginfo(‘version’));
    at qtranslate.php
    Unfortunately, after major release 3.9 the hack is not working anymore.
    Maybe it is a question of time.
    JHC

https://wordpress.org/plugins/qtranslate/

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • ondavisual

(@ondavisual)

Ha! Not even on WP 3.7.3 for me… 🙁 I’m getting “The qTranslate Editor has disabled itself because it hasn’t been tested with your WordPress version yet” with different versions on different sites I maintain…

As a precaution, in case things that qtranslate depend on would change inside wordpress, qtranslate has a place where it declares which wordpress version this particular version of qtranslate supports.

This became a bit heavier to handle, when wordpress enabled automatic security updates (within main version, so that your 3.8 wordpress would suddenly change itself to 3.8.1, and qtranslate would block itself, until an adjusted version of qtranslate was distributed or you edited the declaration about supported wordpress version.)

Now, the reason for this check was in case anything important would change inside wordpress. With wordpress 3.9 this important changes happened.
    A mismatch in how qtranslate changes date formats of posts (which has been there all the time) suddenly stopped wordpress from showing posts on the frontend.
    And in wordpress the visual editor was updated. Some small things need to change in qtranslate for the visual editor to work.

The last year or so, the author of qtranslate seems to have had very little time for qtranslate (which is just fair, we’re talking about a free plugin and a side product of the author’s hobby project!).

In the support forum, I’ve noted that someone has made a fork of qtranslate, as a plugin mqtranslate. You might be helped by going over to that plugin. If I understood it correctly, it even has a button to import your qtranslate settings. But bear in mind that you shouldn’t have qtranslate and mqtranslate activated at the same time. And – if you’ve got any plugins that rely on qtranslate being around, they might not work as you expect if you’re using mqtranslate instead.

On the couple of sites where I use qtranslate, I’ll stay on wordpress 3.8.3 for a while, until the dust settles.

3Lancer

(@3lancer)

Had to hack this plugin’s ‘qtranslate_core.php’ file at line 455.

// WordPress 3.9 Fix
    //return $before.strftime($format, $date).$after;
    return strftime($format, $date).$after;

It’s just a matter of removing that ‘$before.’ which causes all sorts of issues in regards to getting content before the date stamp.

Then with the ‘qtranslate.php’ just find and update the allowed WordPress version to the latest.

define('QT_SUPPORTED_WP_VERSION', '3.9');

I haven’t run into any issues so far doing this, but best to test for yourself and have backups incase.

EDIT: Backend Visual Editor will still be broken with this fix and some more tweaking might be required…

What’s mqtranslate like compared to this one? Has the original developer given up on support so someone else tried to take over or are they actually different?

tobagouk

(@tobagouk)

hi there,
    mqtranslate is a development fork of the original plugin, made & supported by someone like you (not me, I’m just a fan of mqtrans 😉 ) who has been annoyed with the kinks and hiccups the regular version brings with it. It’s compatible, but different – but migration from the original to the fork version is very easy. mqtranslate evolved into something more adapted to the needs of WP 3.9, therefore it’s different from the original, but – at least for me – the original broke all my current installations of WP, that’s why I switched.

Don’t get me wrong, I personally do think Qian Qin has done a marvelous job when first introducing the qtranslate plugin and concept, but since he apparently does not really keep track of current developments in regards to upgradeability, the larger step WP has taken from 3.8.x to 3.9 by updating TinyMCE and the repercussions this would have for qtranslate, I decided to try out the dev fork which is mqtrans, a well-supported fork project that actually works with even the newest frills of WP. And in case there’s problems, the actual adaptor will most likely be in touch within a day or two, at least to my experience 🙂

Dj3989

(@dj3989)

My qtranslate also does not work.
    While it is activated, my homepage is hiding the article on the frontpage. when i deactivate, it shows both german and english text stringed together. Even deleating this plugin does not remove the english translation. Does anyone know, how i can solve this problem? Either i just want to only have the german text until the new plugin version appears, or i want to crack the php to hide the english text.
    Many thanks in advance!!

Dj3989, this is the way qtranslate works: it saves the various language versions one after each other, and the filter the output from the site. With qtranslate inactive, all versions are sent to the visitor.
    You may:
    – Downgrade to wordpress 3.8.3 again. (That´s what I´ve done.)
    – Install and activate mqtranslate, a fork (alternative) to qtranslate. (this may not work if you are using additional bells and whistles with qtranslate)
    – Try to patch your qtranslate yourself, search for “wp 3.9 qtranslate” and you´ll find several articles.

I can´t find any information that solves my problem. Maybe someone here can help me! I would be extremely thankful! This my current situation:

I write all my articles in English as well as in German. This shows up normally in the editor.

1)When I am logged in with my account in WordPress, all the translations work perfectly fine! My website shows as it should.

2) When I am not logged in and look at my website just like a random person, the translations are all messed up. When I open the website it shows up all in english. If I click the button “German” nothing happens, everything stays in English.

3) If I open for example my “about me” page everything ONLY shows in German. If I click the “English” button nothing happens.

Why is it all messed up? And why can I see my website correctly only when I am logged in?

PLEASE can someone help me!

Thanks to 3Lancer for the hack. It solved the most critical problem for me.
    However the date/time is broken. It is shown as %A, 09UTC8 %e. %B %Y

This one:
    https://gist.github.com/akirk/10979790 (apply changes)

and this one:
    https://gist.github.com/warenhaus/10990386 (replace data)

Then it works!

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘3.9 not working’ is closed to new replies.