WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

[resolved] 3.8 Dashboard (not a bug) (20 posts)

1. Jon Täng
    Posted 7 months ago #

I'm a bit skeptical about the new Dashboard with four small columns. I use some plugins that provide statistics and graphs and therefore need a little space to provide a good experience.

So it would be great if you could choose the number of columns that you want to use, and the width of the columns in the new dashboard.

Keep up the good work! :)

2. niggoe
    Posted 7 months ago #

I would also prefer the possibility to choose the number of columns in the new Dashboard.

Thanks für the great work.

3. rodbauer
    Posted 7 months ago #

I agree. My monitor is 1920x1080 and dashboard presentation in 3.8 is terrible. The boxes are four across and too small. I would much prefer larger boxes for the graphed data from Jetpack and Google Analytics. I would like to set the number of columns desired for optimal display.

4. Thornore
    Posted 7 months ago #

Yeah, I would have to agree... I have a weather banner in one of my boxes and currently it is sticking 3/4 of the way over the box next to it... with no way to adjust it... it kind of bites... I'm just saying... o.O

5. Sergey Biryukov
    WordPress Dev
    Posted 7 months ago #

6. garymgordon
    Posted 7 months ago #

Sergey,

Any idea as to if or when an option to set the number of columns (in the dashboard) or maybe make them resizable (or set a specific permanent size) to a widget area might be possible and coming?

Gary

7. esmi
    Forum Moderator
    Posted 7 months ago #

Impossible to determine at this stage. Could be anything from 5 or 6 weeks if there's a security upgrade to a few months.

8. garymgordon
    Posted 7 months ago #

Hmmm. Ok. Thanks for letting me know.
    Gary

PS: Just another commment. It would be really nice if users could select from a color palette and choose their own colors for the dashboard. The color schemes that come pre-set, are just not the best when it comes to "accessibility". Meaning, the contrast between the colors is often not very clean and clear when you try to read the text. So, it would just be nice if the user could select and create their own color schemes. (If this is already possible, I didn't notice how.) Thanks.

9. WPyogi
    Volunteer Moderator
    Posted 7 months ago #

Admin color options are under your user profile.

10. garymgordon
    Posted 7 months ago #

Yes, but I only see 8 options and the only one that is really good for "accessibility" is the "light" option. All other's can be difficult to use if your eyesight is challenged.

11. pcvip
    Posted 7 months ago #

I haven't tried it, but someone claims to have come up with a solution:

https://digwp.com/2013/12/bring-back-single-column-dashboard-in-wp-3-8/

By the way, though: anyone else notice that categories and tags are now MIA from "At a Glance"? Anyone know how to get to them?

12. esmi
    Forum Moderator
    Posted 7 months ago #

the only one that is really good for "accessibility" is the "light" option

I would have thought that the default skin would be pretty good for anyone with a visual impairment. That said, I'm hoping that it will be a lot easier to provide new admin skins for 3.8 and above. So perhaps we'll start seeing those soon.

13. garymgordon
    Posted 7 months ago #

Esmi,

Yes. I think it would just be nice if we could select our own set of color options. I think that would solve the problem. *smile*

14. esmi
    Forum Moderator
    Posted 7 months ago #

And I'm sure we will start seeing plugins that will allow you to do this. But first, the core changes to make this possible had to be in place.

15. laptophobo
    Posted 6 months ago #

Amazing. All of the concerns I had after seeing my new Dashboard are posted in this thread: keeping the widget columns in a single row per previous installations, and having different color options for the dashboard pallet. (I prefer the original colors.)

16. wilcfry
    Posted 6 months ago #

Allowing user to pick the color options (from a palette) would be much preferred to eight options I don't like.

Also, allowing user to set default column width / number of columns is preferable to having the dashboard select for me (and change the columns without asking when I resize my browser).

Even more than all that, however, I used to show 10 recent comments on my dashboard Activity; now it's just 5 and I can't see a way to change that.

17. Drawer2
    Posted 6 months ago #

I don't have "issues", or a "visual impairment", and I have a topline monitor, but garymgordon is quite right - all of the color schemes except for the Light one are a little hard to see, changing to almost greyed out on the flyouts. They seem to have been designed with a grey instead of a black font.

Yes, I can see them, but good design should be #1, legible.

I prefer 3 columns, too.

I really like having Activity (current posts) in there now, however (which I asked for in the suggestion area!)

18. liinussvensson
    Posted 6 months ago #

Is there anyway to "quick fix" this issue?

Because i have widgets in my dashboard that requieres the columns to be wider. Now the content is floating outside the boxes. Or do i simply need to wait for the next update? =)

19. programmin
    Posted 5 months ago #

You mean wait for the plugin's update? I would think yes.

Though it would seem to be pretty confusing how it makes more blank spaces for widgets when the screen is larger. It's not even very obvious they can drag widgets there.

20. Grimpond
    Posted 5 months ago #

This snippet option apparently gives you a choice of columns.

http://www.johnmorrisonline.com/force-single-2-3-4-column-dashboard-layout-wordpress-3-8/

Have not tested this as yet.

G

You must log in to post.

About this Topic