WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

[resolved] 3.7.1 uploading media a no goer HELP please (57 posts)

1. batse50
    Posted 5 months ago #

All was OK until 31st October / 1st November.

I have been trying to upload media files and all that happens is a blue edged square with a blue ? mark in the middle.
    If I chose to Edit Media then I can see the uploaded item but it will be stored as a ? in a box and not be added to a post.

Tried with no success:
    1. Deactivating all plugins - nothing different
    2. Reactivating plugins 1 by 1 - no change
    3. Reinstalling 3.7.1 - no change
    4. Settings Media Screen Codex and something else that looked far too dodgy to attempt for anyone else but a WP guru. Nothing changed.

Please help

2. esmi
    Theme Diva & Forum Moderator
    Posted 5 months ago #

Have you checked - using FTP - that the image files have been uploaded to the correct folder inside wp-content/uploads?

3. batse50
    Posted 5 months ago #

Oh goodness sorry FTP?

4. batse50
    Posted 5 months ago #

File Transfer Protocol?? Its a blog though
    Have also just updated themes and still no change blue square blue? and no picture to be transferred to article

5. cravendale
    Posted 5 months ago #

Well i have also been trying to self solve this issue for the last 4 hours.

Noticed earlier that uploading with either bulk or single media uploader resulted in blue square with ? inside.

Thought it may be an issue with image so resaved as jpeg again (didn't work), reserved as PNG (didn't work), reserved as gif (didn't work), then decided something else was issue so moved on to next phase which looks similar to recommendations made here.

Have reset htaccess, reset plugins, switched plugins off one by one, switched to default theme and manually reinstalled wordpress again (sorry latest version).

All was good on 31st October but something has changed.

One thing i have noticed is that the image is uploading correctly. Even though you cannot see the thumbnail if you click EDIT and get to the screen where you can crop and edit then the image is there in all its glory (is this the problem that the thumbnail is not generating?)

I haven't got hold of my hosts yet to ask them about hot linking but i don't think this is so as trying another site i manage with the same hosts but on the 3.6 version of wordpress uploads images fine.

Any clues, any help much appreciated, there do seem to be a few media and image problems at present.

6. batse50
    Posted 5 months ago #

Any new ideas how to solve this issue?

Hot linking not an issue - I wonder if reverting to 3.6 would solve the issue??

Is that possible?

7. dlcamacho925@gmail.com
    Posted 5 months ago #

I'm having a problem as well. When I click Add Media button, "Internet Explorer Has Stopped Working" comes up and my pages gets stopped and reloaded.

I've been able to get the blue box referrenced above - I think that was when I dragged the photo into the page.

I'm new to this so it is my first attempt at adding photos. I'm using jpg images.

I've -
    -turned off all plugins that have anything to do with photos or videos - one by one - nothing changed.
    -changed the theme - nothing changed.
    -tried with two different images.

Thank You!

8. kmessinger
    Volunteer Moderator
    Posted 5 months ago #

@cravendale
    Please start your own topic per forum rules.

9. kmessinger
    Volunteer Moderator
    Posted 5 months ago #

@dlcamacho925@gmail.com
    Please start your own topic per forum rules.

10. kmessinger
    Volunteer Moderator
    Posted 5 months ago #

@batse50
    Please provide a link to a post missing an image.

11. batse50
    Posted 5 months ago #

http://www.mrsbmusings.com/honeycomb-10-minutes-to-make

I had to leave the photo out as it wouldn't 'happen' but if you want an example of what happens I can add one

12. batse50
    Posted 5 months ago #

I think Ive found a way round it for now!!
    Dashboard, Quick Edit, upload media. Store in media file then for photo in the article chose it from the Media file!!

Bim bam booly - Hey presto a photo in the article and a featured photo too.

Meanwhile I hope the other way gets 'sorted'

13. kmessinger
    Volunteer Moderator
    Posted 5 months ago #

Try it without the copyright protection software.

This http://www.mrsbmusings dot com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/pinotage-150x150.jpg does not show up on the page yet the url is correct and it shows up stand alone. That means something is messing with the source code.

BTW disabling right click will protect nothing - its all there in the source code if someone wants to take it.

14. batse50
    Posted 5 months ago #

messenger thank you for your help. I have removed the copyright protect software and sadly …. no change

May cry soon …. :-) as already started on the chocolate !

15. batse50
    Posted 5 months ago #

Having thought the problem was able to be coped with by going through quick edit - nothing is displayed on the site

16. kmessinger
    Volunteer Moderator
    Posted 5 months ago #

I see one not there that shows a url of
    http://i2.wp.com/www.mrsbmusings.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/pinotage.jpg?resize=150%2C150

If you try to link to images from other sites you will be unsuccessful most of the time as most do not allow hot-linking.

17. batse50
    Posted 5 months ago #

Cant open http://i2.wp.com/www.mrsbmusings.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/pinotage.jpg?resize=150%2C150 but have removed a link from one photo.

Still not able to upload photos though

Thanks of your help

18. WPyogi
    Volunteer Moderator
    Posted 5 months ago #

I see a bunch of plugins active on your site - try deactivating ALL of them and keeping them off until this is resolved.

19. batse50
    Posted 5 months ago #

Yep I deactivated them all last night and activated them one by one but didn't make any difference. I'll try again though coz if it works it's worth it

20. batse50
    Posted 5 months ago #

Wonderful people something positive seems to have happened

I have deleted a you tube link, adjusted oodles of my posts and now … I have just uploaded some photos

1 very happy bunny with crossed ears hoping it will stay OK

Thank you

21. batse50
    Posted 5 months ago #

Oh dear oh dear its happening again - any advice gratefully received. Apart from the stuff Ive already done - what's left?

22. WPyogi
    Volunteer Moderator
    Posted 5 months ago #

Deactivate ALL your plugins again.

23. batse50
    Posted 5 months ago #

Again goodness Ive already done that 3 times and it made no difference at all

24. batse50
    Posted 5 months ago #

I deactivated everything and even deleted some

Is it possible to reinstall WP 3.6 ?

25. esmi
    Posted 5 months ago #

That will not help. Try:
    - switching to the default 2013 theme.

- resetting the plugins folder by phpMyAdmin.

26. kmessinger
    Volunteer Moderator
    Posted 5 months ago #

Who is this? http://i1.wp.com/

27. batse50
    Posted 5 months ago #

no idea

done the default 2013
    and the plug in but the blue square and ? still there
    am i being a bit thick? am i missing something obvious?

i am basic or just above level but ….

28. kmessinger
    Volunteer Moderator
    Posted 5 months ago #

If you right click on the blue square and go to properties or copy link address. What does it say?

29. batse50
    Posted 5 months ago #

on a mac can't rt click

30. esmi
    Posted 5 months ago #

You are currently not using the default 2013 theme and you have not deactivated all plugins.

Reply »

You must log in to post.

About this Topic