• Resolved questions4wp

(@questions4wordpress)

I just upgraded to 3.7 on a couple of non-essential sites (cleared caches, disabled all plugins, backed up database + files, made sure none of the plugins are the ones mentioned in the Master List post), and for some reason now any WordPress files stored in /wp-admin/ are inaccessible.

For instance, upon finishing the update, I click on the “Return to updates” page, which should bring me to mydomain.com/wp-admin/update-core.php, but when visiting that page, I get the standard WordPress 404 error page, with my site’s theme. Similarly, going back into the dashboard and clicking on the Plugins tab should bring me to mydomain.com/wp-admin/plugins.php, but instead I get the same 404 page.

I can confirm that all the files are actually on the server (and are their most updated versions). Any advice?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Assuming your backups are good and you’re running on Apache, can you replace the code of your .htaccess file with the following:

# BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    </IfModule>
    # END WordPress

and see if that fixes things?

Also, maybe see this at the end of Otto’s recent post elsewhere:

“check in the wp-admin folder” for an .htaccess file. WordPress does not create an .htaccess in the wp-admin folder, but some security plugins do, and those have been shown to cause problems…
    http://wordpress.org/support/topic/featured-image-not-working-since-36-37?replies=8#post-4807727

Thread Starter questions4wp

(@questions4wordpress)

The low-traffic websites which I updated to 3.7 do not have any security plugins (though some of the higher-traffic sites do). There is also no .htaccess file inside the wp-admin folder, or anywhere else in the site’s directory. My host’s root directory is for my main domain, and there are a number of subdirectories for other domains and subdomains. Only the root directory and the higher-trafficked sites with security plugins have .htaccess files. I am indeed running Apache, though, and my backups are fine – however, there’s nothing to replace with the code that bemdesign posted.

Thanks though! Anything else I can try?

Moderator Ipstenu (Mika Epstein)

(@ipstenu)

🏳️‍🌈 Advisor and Activist

Are there any errors on your server’s error log?

(@questions4wordpress)

None, unfortunately

Bemdesign, the same thing has happened to me after upgrade.
    I checked my htaccess file and it looks just like what you posted, just with my name on rewrite base.
    I am not savvy in this stuff so where do I get help getting back online?
    Thanks

Moderator cubecolour

(@numeeja)

miss cast, please start your own topic

this thread is closed?

Moderator cubecolour

(@numeeja)

no, but your issue may not have the same cause as the one currently under discussion. http://codex.wordpress.org/Forum_Welcome#Where_To_Post

Moderator Ipstenu (Mika Epstein)

(@ipstenu)

🏳️‍🌈 Advisor and Activist

questions4wp – Remove the .htaccess (or rename it .htaccess-old) for kicks…

Also did you turn off ALL plugins? Renaming the folder usually works.

(@questions4wordpress)

I am sure that I turned off all the plugins (I renamed the plugin folder plugins-old), and I renamed the .htaccess file located in my site root as well. Renaming the plugins folder did nothing, although renaming the .htaccess file made mydomain.com/wp-admin/update-core.php return a 500 error instead of a 404. The 500 error was handled by my server (as opposed to the 404, which was handled by WordPress).

Interestingly, I can edit pages just fine, and the URL for the page editor is mydomain.com/wp-admin/edit.php?post_type=page

(@questions4wordpress)

I figured it out! Well, really, the tech support people figured it out =)

After confirming all file permissions were correct, .htaccess looked normal (similar if not identical to bemdesign’s post), that all the files were on the server and were their most updated versions, and that all the plugins were fine (or even disabled/deleted), I contacted my host for support (I prefer not to contact them for WordPress-related issues, since it’s an external application).

I use InMotionHosting, but the solution might be relevant for others. WordPress 3.7 requires PHP version 5.3. The cPanel on my host shows that it is indeed running a 5.3.* release, so I didn’t think anything of it. It turns out that there are multiple versions available for different applications. To force that domain to use PHP 5.3, the tech person added the following line to the top of my .htaccess file:

AddHandler application/x-httpd-php5 .php

It now works fine. I can confirm that all pages are accessible (both administrative and content), and I can update everything. I have gone around making this change to all of my domains, and they all seem to work.

Thank you questions4wp.

Adding that line to the .Htaccess file worked for me too.

I just found this and it solved my inMotion problem as well.

questions4wp: Excellent, thanks. That worked for me as well. Inmotion would be fantastic if they sent out this helpful suggestion to all of their wordpress customers.

AddHandler application/x-httpd-php5 .php

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • The topic ‘3.7 Upgrade Loses wp-admin/*.php Pages’ is closed to new replies.