• Resolved missemmamm

(@missemmamm)

Hello,
    I need the simplest help that anyone can give. I’m not technically oriented. Tonight I finally gave in and hit upgrade to 3.5. (I accidentally left an unfinished post open at the same time. I’m mentioning this in case it matters.)

After I did that and went to work on my post my kitchen sink was missing. Hitting the visual and add media buttons also results in nothing happening.

It did let me retry the upgrade once, which I did but that didn’t help. I’ve been searching for answers to this issue. I tried some of the suggestions online-I deactivated and reactivated my plugins. I switched to the new twenty twelve theme just to see if that would help. It didn’t and it wouldn’t let me adjust my widgets so I went back to my current theme.

Other remedies online seem to involve changing things within my host. I am so inept at that. Any time that I have to do that (rarely) I’m worried that I will accidentally erase everything. I find this incredibly confusing and akin to doing math (those who don’t really get advanced math will probably understand what I mean by that).

Are there any other fixes that I can try that don’t involve going into my hosting dashboard? I really just want to try to fix this within my wordpress dashboard.

If there’s a simple way to just revert to the previous version let me know and I’ll do that for now.

Thanks so much to anyone who takes the time to read this and offer a suggestion.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Moderator Jan Dembowski

(@jdembowski)

Forum Moderator and Brute Squad

After I did that and went to work on my post my kitchen sink was missing. Hitting the visual and add media buttons also results in nothing happening.

Try the easy things first and this apparently fixed it for someone else. Clear your browser’s cache and cookies and re-login to your WordPress dashboard right after that.

If that didn’t work then move on to the reading portion. 😉

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/troubleshooting-wordpress-35-master-list?replies=4

When you have problems like that it’s usually javascript that is the culprit. You can check if that’s the case by enabling the Javascript console in your browser.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Your_Browser_to_Diagnose_JavaScript_Errors

If you do see Javascript errors in the console then

– Make a backup copy of your wp-config.php file and put that somewhere safe.

– Copy that wp-config.php to wp-config-SAVE.php (I really like multiple safety nets).

– Open the wp-config.php file using the most basic text editor you have. Windows notepad is good for this and add this line above the “stop editing” line so it looks like this:

define('CONCATENATE_SCRIPTS', false);
    /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

Save that, clear your browser cache and cookies, re-login and try again. See if that does it.

If it does fix it let us know. That’s step is not really a solution just a means to confirm what’s going on.

Thread Starter missemmamm

(@missemmamm)

I had a ton of javascript errors when I checked. I copied & then changed the wp-config.php file & the rest that you suggested & it’s working! Thanks so much.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘3.5 Upgrade-missing kitchen sink, etc’ is closed to new replies.