WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

[closed] 3.5 Broke "Create Link" button and "Text" tab in post editor (28 posts)

1. childofnewlight
    Posted 1 year ago #

After upgrading to 3.5 I went to create a post and found that the create a link button was not functioning. Clicking on it produced no popup like it usually does. Figuring it was a new patch problem I decided to go to text editor to manually create the link. The text tab would not work.

I am using WP 3.5. I cleared both my site and browser's cache. I am using the latest release version of Firefox on Windows 7 64 bit machine. I have 8 plugins which I disabled and still had the same results.

The problem is in the editor in the admin area when attempting to create or edit posts.

2. JonathanMair
    Posted 1 year ago #

same here :-(

tried with chrome and safari on mac osx 10.7

I get a link editor window, but the page becomes very long - have to scroll down - and the window appears at the extreme bottom left of the page, no internal links available.

3. adigaskell
    Posted 1 year ago #

Yep, same here. It also doesn't appear to be processing rich text. A blog I had scheduled to go out today had an iframe in it, and when published under Elvin it didn't come out right.

4. keesiemeijer
    Posted 1 year ago #

try:
    - reading the troubleshooting 3.5 master list to see if any of your problems is listed there: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/troubleshooting-wordpress-35-master-list

If you're experiencing issues with your interactive functionality this may be due to JavaScript errors or conflicts. This guide will show you how to diagnose JavaScript issues in different browsers: http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Your_Browser_to_Diagnose_JavaScript_Errors
    Please report javascript errors here.

Also try:
    - flushing any caching plugins you might be running, as well as server and/or browser caches.

- deactivating all plugins to see if this resolves the problem? If this works, re-activate the plugins one by one until you find the problematic plugin(s).

- switching to the default theme to rule out any theme-specific problems.

- re-uploading all files & folders - except the wp-content folder from a fresh download of WordPress. by using FTP or whatever file management application your host provides (Manual Update).

- re-running the upgrade via wp-admin/upgrade.php

5. adigaskell
    Posted 1 year ago #

That hasn't worked for me I'm afraid.

6. redcrab1277
    Posted 1 year ago #

same here

7. keesiemeijer
    Posted 1 year ago #

8. arielmeadow
    Posted 1 year ago #

I'm experiencing this as well, with the link input box appearing at the VERY bottom left of the screen: http://quick-markup.com/p/50c8ce96e5cf3
    (Scroll to the bottom of the screenshot)

It's definitely a plugin incompatibility issue, since linking works just fine on my stripped-down personal blog... but is borked on all my work blogs.

9. childofnewlight
    Posted 1 year ago #

Timestamp: 12/12/2012 3:11:33 PM
    Error: TypeError: e is undefined
    Source File: http://jesusisrisen.org/wp-admin/load-scripts.php?c=1&load[]=jquery,utils,plupload,plupload-html5,plupload-flash,plupload-silverlight,plupload-html4,json2&ver=3.5
    Line: 2

Timestamp: 12/12/2012 3:11:33 PM
    Error: TypeError: jQuery(...).tabs is not a function
    Source File: http://jesusisrisen.org/wp-content/plugins/seo-ultimate/includes/tabs.js?v=7.5.7
    Line: 21

Timestamp: 12/12/2012 3:28:33 PM
    Error: TypeError: e(...).uniqueId is not a function
    Source File: http://jesusisrisen.org/wp-includes/js/jquery/ui/jquery.ui.dialog.min.js?ver=1.9.2
    Line: 5

Timestamp: 12/12/2012 3:28:36 PM
    Error: TypeError: c.curCSS is not a function
    Source File: http://jesusisrisen.org/wp-content/themes/arjuna-x/lib/jquery-ui-1.8.10.custom.min.js?ver=3.5
    Line: 10

define('SCRIPT_DEBUG', true); had little effect. Link dialogue wouldn't appear unless I double clicked, then it'd appear down in the bottom left. When attempting to "add link" the page reverts back to the all posts page.

(It did however allow the text tab to work)

Disabling plugins gives some limited results. Instead of changing the page it does add the link, but the link dialogue does not dismiss, the page is still greyed out, and canceling the dialogue does not work (the rest of the page remains disabled) and the only way out is to reload or back button.

Opening in the latest version of IE had the same results

10. childofnewlight
    Posted 1 year ago #

Found the problem. It's my theme. Strange that theme would effect the editor. But meh... guess I have to wait for an update unless someone has an idea on how to fix it?

11. arielmeadow
    Posted 1 year ago #

Interesting: could this be a theme issue instead of a plugin incompatibility? On my sites where the link button works, I'm using default themes. On the sites where the link button is NOT working, I have custom templates.

12. Interesting: could this be a theme issue instead of a plugin incompatibility? On my sites where the link button works, I'm using default themes. On the sites where the link button is NOT working, I have custom templates.

Yes, it seems to stem from your theme. I'd suggest contacting your theme's author to try and troubleshoot what's going on.

13. JonathanMair
    Posted 1 year ago #

I'm getting this problem with the standard 2012 theme.

14. arielmeadow
    Posted 1 year ago #

Yes, it seems to stem from your theme. I'd suggest contacting your theme's author to try and troubleshoot what's going on.

My theme's author is a bbPress core dev, so if it's a theme issue, it'll get found.

15. jkohlbach
    Posted 1 year ago #

I found this same problem with a plugin called Clickbump SEO. It was queuing up it's own jQuery UI which can also produce the same error.

Can a mod please add that to the master list so other people don't spend an hour chasing their tails like I did? :)

16. kmessinger
    Volunteer Moderator
    Posted 1 year ago #

Do you have a url for that plugin?

17. Jennifer M. Dodd
    Posted 1 year ago #

Ariel's problem was caused by an older custom plugin that was enqueueing jQuery from Google's API on admin_enqueue_scripts.

18. Sabinou
    Posted 1 year ago #

Same problem here, with this in the debugger :

Horodatage : 13/12/2012 01:50:49
    Erreur : TypeError: c.wpdialog is not a function
    Fichier Source : ( i removed the URL ) /wp-includes/js/tinymce/plugins/wpdialogs/editor_plugin.js?ver=358-23156
    Ligne : 1

19. Sabinou
    Posted 1 year ago #

More information, in case it helps.

I deactivated ALL plugins with phpmyadmin.
    Changed my theme to Twenty Twelve.
    Cleaned my browser cache.
    Created a brand new user for the testing.

And I still got those two bugs :
    - clicking Text or Tab, nothing happens
    - no way to click to embed media, or create hyperlinks

I did this to generate an error log :
    - clean the error log
    - click in the wordpress admin top horizontal bar to create a new blog post
    - typed a a title, typed a few words, selected those words and clicked the "chain" icon to make them an hyperlink

Here's the error log as seen in Firefox > Developer Tools > Error log > errors :
    http://pastebin.com/HmL37jJ7

Next comes : searching how to downgrade to the previous wordpress for a while.

EDIT : I also tried deleting the wp-admin and wp-includes folder, and reuploading them afresh from a wordpress-3.5.zip as downloaded from wordpress.org : no difference.

EDIT AGAIN : just when I had finished preparing for a downgrade, with double backups, pre-upload in a subfolder of the 3.4.2 files, I thought I could test as well adding
    define('SCRIPT_DEBUG', true);
    in wp-config.php
    And you know what ? IT WORKED.
    For the life of me, I fail to comprehend.

20. silvia_dv
    Posted 1 year ago #

Sabinou... THANK YOU!! Your solution worked also for me! Thanks for sharing it. That problem was driving me crazy...

21. Bryan
    Posted 1 year ago #

Adding define('CONCATENATE_SCRIPTS', false ); to the bottom of my config.php file solved the problem for me.

22. IIIXIII
    Posted 1 year ago #

Thanks Plywood!

define('CONCATENATE_SCRIPTS', false );

to the bottom of the config.php file solved the problem in WP and in the plugins as well.

23. pavpud
    Posted 1 year ago #

Hi there
    I'm experiencing the same problems (cant edit the HTML, add hyper links, add images and add tags) in Arjuna X theme.
    Deactivating plugins didn't help.
    @plywood: can you just tell me where can I find my config.php file please.

24. IIIXIII
    Posted 1 year ago #

You can find the wp-config.php at the root of your site.
    Its the file you modify from wp-config-sample.php when you first set up WP.

25. pavpud
    Posted 1 year ago #

Do I need to go to the dashboard of my site or shall I look in the "View page source" to find config.php?
    I'm sorry, I really am newbie in all this.
    On a general note, are WP going to fix these bugs?

26. imobagg
    Posted 1 year ago #

Same here... I upgraded my website from 3.4.2 to 3.5 and it broke my Add new post / page editor. You can see it here in this screenshot.

http://i45.tinypic.com/dlnuwy.png

It's very hard to add posts now. I have already tried, disabling all plugins and have tried using the default themes. Nothing helped. I have tried re-installing 3.5 again and again and it didn't help. I do not know how degrade to the previous version.

27. IIIXIII
    Posted 1 year ago #

@ pavpud
    No dashboard will not get you there - you got to access your WP file.

28. esmi
    Forum Moderator
    Posted 1 year ago #

As per the Forum Welcome, please post your own topic. Posting in an existing topic prevents us from being able to track issues by topic. Added to which, your problem - despite any similarity in symptoms - is likely to be completely different.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic