WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

[resolved] 3.4.2 Update Breaks Add Custom Fields (22 posts)

1. Seth Alling
    Posted 1 year ago #

I have now tested and confirmed this on three sites. Most of the sites I have developed no longer need this, as I now use Meta Boxes but some of the older ones I've developed are showing a problem.

When I try to add a custom field, everything works until I click Add Custom Field. Once it's clicked, the button disappears and an input is created with all of the other custom fields that just says "Add Custom Field".

If there are no custom fields at the time, then the button just disappears and nothing else appears. When I click Update/Publish/Save Draft, no custom fields are added.

Just a clarification: When I say "Update", I am referring to the button in the Publish meta box, and not the Update Custom Field button as that causes the same issue.

Has anyone else had this problem and is there a fix to the core code? At this time, I'm just going to revert the sites that rely on custom fields back to 3.4.1.

Thanks.

2. Hi Seth!

Yes this bug has been confirmed and is being worked on.

http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/21829

3. underrepublic
    Posted 1 year ago #

Yep,

I'm having the same problem here..

Thanks,
    J

4. Seth Alling
    Posted 1 year ago #

Yeah, about 30 minutes after I posted, I found the bug report on trac and added to it. A patch has now been created, I just have to test it out.

5. AlexCruz89
    Posted 1 year ago #

How can i add this patch? I have the same problem.
    Can someone give me the files so i can copy/overwrite?

Thanks.

6. AlexCruz89
    Posted 1 year ago #

7. Sergey Biryukov
    WordPress Dev
    Posted 1 year ago #

The fix is also available in Hotfix 0.9: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/hotfix/

8. Jay
    Posted 1 year ago #

Anyone know if they are going to release a new update with a fix for this or do I have to create a function/patch for every site that has custom fields?

9. Seth Alling
    Posted 1 year ago #

Right now I'm just using the hotfix plugin for the sites that use Custom Fields; I only have 3 to worry about as I have switched to custom meta boxes, so it's not too much of a concern for me.

Looking at the trac, the Milestone is 3.4.3, but it's the only ticket in the milestone, so who knows when it will actually be released.

My plans are to use the plugin for now, and then to remove them from those sites when version 3.4.3 comes out, so I'm marking this topic as resolved.

10. oneTarek
    Posted 1 year ago #

I am facing same problem after updating WordPress to Version 3.4.2
    I am unable to add custom fields.

11. jt70
    Posted 1 year ago #

I think there is a workaround for use whole waiting for the patch....

If you press enter on the keyboard while the cursor is in the name field, it will save. looks like you'll have to click "enter new" and type in the name rather than use the drop-down, though.

Can anyone confirm that this works for them as well?

12. jt70
    Posted 1 year ago #

One note--using that workaround looks like it updates the post as well as saving the custom field. I haven;t tried it yet with a new post, so it may publish it when you save the field.

13. jt70
    Posted 1 year ago #

Installed the hotfix pluging. Works great. Thanks.

14. LichKing
    Posted 1 year ago #

the hotfix worked just fine here too, thanks!

15. M Asif Rahman
    Posted 1 year ago #

Use HotFix or this one file plugins, I have posted in my blog with all links
    Check - http://asif2bd.info/2012/09/11/solution-wordpress-custom-fields-broken-after-3-4-2-update/

16. wizard0522
    Posted 1 year ago #

Hotfix worked just fine for me, Thanks

17. Sum1ElsN0tM3
    Posted 1 year ago #

Thank you! And thanks to PremiumWP for leading me to this post.

18. borjafer
    Posted 1 year ago #

Hotfix Instaled... Very quick & awsome solution! Tons of Thanks!

19. aankun
    Posted 1 year ago #

It's not just me then
    I manage some WP website and it all broken on the Custom Fields
    thanks for the info :)

20. Mr Press
    Posted 1 year ago #

The hotfix plugin does not work. It worked fine until I updated PHP to 5.4.7 from 5.3.17. Now, when creating a new custom field it lands in a big pink box with red border, right above the existing custom fields, and in order to create another custom field the post must be updated/saved just like it was before.

So this topic should not be labelled as 'resolved'.

21. o0R3D0o
    Posted 1 year ago #

the Hotfix plugin solved the problem for me..

22. illuminatus7
    Posted 1 year ago #

Hotfix worked like a charm :)

Thanks!

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic