WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

3.2: problems inserting images, editing widgets, "screen options" dropdown, etc (25 posts)

1. macrobaye
    Posted 3 years ago #

first thing's first:

I'm running Thesis 1.8.1 and WP 3.2.
    I've deactivated all plugins and nothing changes.
    These problems absolutely began with the 3.2 install (which was an auto upgrade not manual).

First noticed the image uploader is malfunctioning. I can upload images but can't insert them into posts, specifically the normal box pops up but without the title/link/dimensions/"insert into post" options. Also, I can't close the importer overlay window either.

Widgets won't open to allow editing. The title bar of the widget expands, but nothing under it.

When I click "Screen Options" nothing happens except the Help tab next to it vanishes.

I can't collapse/expand the left WP admin menu sections.

Approving individual comments (which used to turn green and fade out) now reloads the whole page.

Etc etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Connor

2. Chip Bennett
    Theme Review Admin
    Posted 3 years ago #

You're likely experiencing a jQuery or other javascript conflict issue.

If you switch to the default Theme (i.e. Twenty Eleven) do the problems persist?

If not, then the problem is your Theme, which unfortunately, being a commercial Theme, we cannot really help you with.

If the problem does persist with Twenty Eleven active, then the problem is likely a conflicting Plugin. Try deactivating all Plugins, and see if the problem persists.

3. macrobaye
    Posted 3 years ago #

Why would a theme cause errors in the wordpress admin area?

I've tried deactivating all the plugins, nothing changes...

4. Chip Bennett
    Theme Review Admin
    Posted 3 years ago #

Why would a theme cause errors in the wordpress admin area?

Because some Themes blindly enqueue scripts in functions.php, which loads not just on the front end, but also in the back end. Thus, a Theme could load a script in the back end that causes a script conflict.

5. macrobaye
    Posted 3 years ago #

ok that makes sense. I've checked the Thesis forums and haven't been able to find someone with the same problems at all -- they even updated Thesis today to be fully compatible with WordPress 3.2.

With this in mind is there anything else it could be? I literally don't have access to edit my widgets which is driving me mad.

6. Chip Bennett
    Theme Review Admin
    Posted 3 years ago #

Did you try changing to Twenty Eleven, to see if the problem persists?

7. macrobaye
    Posted 3 years ago #

everything seems to be working fine when switched to Twenty Eleven -- but that's not a solution, just narrowing down the problem. What do you mean when you say it's a jQuery problem? and how would I fix that?

8. Chip Bennett
    Theme Review Admin
    Posted 3 years ago #

everything seems to be working fine when switched to Twenty Eleven -- but that's not a solution, just narrowing down the problem.

Correct; it was just a means of identifying the source of the problem. If all else is equal, and the problem goes away when you switch Themes, then your Theme is part of the problem (perhaps not the entire problem, as you may have problematic Plugins as well).

What do you mean when you say it's a jQuery problem? and how would I fix that?

It means that your Theme isn't implementing script enqueueing properly.

9. macrobaye
    Posted 3 years ago #

sorry I'm a bit new to all of this. what's script enqueueing? and how can I fix the problem?

10. Chip Bennett
    Theme Review Admin
    Posted 3 years ago #

If you're using a commercial Theme, such as Thesis, you'll have to consult the developer's support offerings, if you are unable to fix the problem yourself. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide specific support for commercial Themes.

11. Samuel Wood (Otto)
    Tech Ninja
    Posted 3 years ago #

Well, since you've shown that the theme is the source of the problem, then you might ask the theme author for an update.

12. macrobaye
    Posted 3 years ago #

Thesis was updated yesterday for 3.2 support, and I've scoured the boards over there and can't find anyone with my problem. I've also started a thread over there, I'm just looking for any help I can get.

it doesn't have to be specific help... but you're the pros. knowing that it's not a widespread Thesis problem, but that in my case it's cause by Thesis, what could it be? Is my specific skin in Thesis causing the problem?

Should I do a fresh manual install of WordPress 3.2?

thanks

13. Chip Bennett
    Theme Review Admin
    Posted 3 years ago #

it doesn't have to be specific help... but you're the pros. knowing that it's not a widespread Thesis problem, but that in my case it's cause by Thesis, what could it be? Is my specific skin in Thesis causing the problem?

If the problem goes away when you switch to Twenty Eleven, and then the problem comes back when you switch to Thesis, then Thesis is at least part of the problem. That's really as far as we can get you, here.

14. gregor59
    Posted 3 years ago #

Hello all,
    This is my first time here.
    I'm having the exact same problem as macrobaye but changing to the Twenty Eleven Theme makes no difference. I have disabled all my plugins. I am using Elegant Themes. My next step is a fresh install if there is no other answer.

15. Chip Bennett
    Theme Review Admin
    Posted 3 years ago #

@gregor59: you need to start your own support Topic. "I have the exact same problem, except that it's different" means that you very likely have a different issue, so it needs to be tracked/resolved in a different topic.

16. Hanisah
    Posted 3 years ago #

i'm facing this kind of problem after i submit the "upgrade" button.

maybe it caused my blog theme's error .

17. gregor59
    Posted 3 years ago #

Hanisah,
    I discovered my problem is only with Firefox. I can use it ok in IE.

Gregor

18. mercadder
    Posted 3 years ago #

I have the same problem: I´m using Thesis and WordPress, last revisions.

The problem arises when you update the options in the Thesis Site Options or Design Options.

I unnistall all the pulgins, deleted all caches, clean databases. The problem persists. In my case, I have problems with the width of content area, sidebar, text size and images uploads.

Chip, it´s very easy to say the problem is the Theme, in this case not only Thesis framework, as per other users like gregor59.

Chip, WordPress.org has to avoid this Theme issues happend, and has to control what kind of plugins people upload into the WordPress.org repository: only tested and free of spam, plogs, malware. I only upload plugins from the repository and my blog was totally infected with spam and splogs. WordPress community is in danger right now.

19. Chip Bennett
    Theme Review Admin
    Posted 3 years ago #

@gregor59: no, really: you need to start your own thread; your issue isn't the same as the OP's.

@mercadder:

The problem arises when you update the options in the Thesis Site Options or Design Options.

I unnistall all the pulgins, deleted all caches, clean databases. The problem persists. In my case, I have problems with the width of content area, sidebar, text size and images uploads.

Chip, it´s very easy to say the problem is the Theme, in this case not only Thesis framework...

Thesis is a commercial Theme, and as such we are unable to provide support specific to Thesis.

Chip, WordPress.org has to avoid this Theme issues happend

In general, how do you expect WordPress to avoid issues caused by Themes that either have some sort of incorrect coding in the first place, or that fail to keep up with current best practices - especially for Themes over which "WordPress" has absolutely no control?

(This isn't an indictment of Thesis in particular; I've never used it and never seen its code.)

and has to control what kind of plugins people upload into the WordPress.org repository: only tested and free of spam, plogs, malware. I only upload plugins from the repository and my blog was totally infected with spam and splogs. WordPress community is in danger right now.

WordPress does monitor and control for malicious code in Repository-hosted Plugins. If your site was infected, the odds are, it didn't happen because of WordPress or any WPORG-hosted Plugins.

I call shenanigans, unless you have actual evidence of a WPORG Repository-hosted Plugin that has spam or malware. And if you do, you should have already emailed security@wordpress.org with details.

20. gregor59
    Posted 3 years ago #

Hello Chip,
    I decided against starting a new thread meantime as I am addressing the issue on my theme forum. It seems there is a Firefox issue and that's why I answered Hanisah. I may be back to start a new thread.

gregor

21. ashleykaryl
    Posted 3 years ago #

I am seeing exactly the same problem using Twenty Eleven even after deactivating all plugins. I am seeing this in IE9 and FireFox on Windows and Chrome, FireFox or Safari on the Mac. I am now running 3.2.1 but this all started with 3.2. My blog is about photography so this makes it basically unusable at the moment 8-(

22. mercadder
    Posted 3 years ago #

Chip,

What I´m trying to say is the WordPress.org must to control more as they are controlling right now the uploading of plugins or themes.

This "scheme" of "open" is dangerous for the WordPress program and for the community growth itself. I just want to write on my blog, not to delete garbage every day.

I repeat you: I never installed an outside of repository plugin or theme, and I have had SPAMs and SPLOGs and database garbage. I have 4 or 5 plugins for exploits, antivirus... Can you explain how could this happend? I´ve been almost a week offline, and now my blogs are with just the minimun settings.

This situation reminds me the scheme of Android "open" system vs the "thank god" Apple closed system. This makes me believe that open software is just an temporary utopy.

Back to the topic: May I know when WordPress.org will have another revesion, let´s say 3.2.2?

23. Chip Bennett
    Theme Review Admin
    Posted 3 years ago #

This "scheme" of "open" is dangerous for the WordPress program and for the community growth itself. I just want to write on my blog, not to delete garbage every day.

This situation reminds me the scheme of Android "open" system vs the "thank god" Apple closed system. This makes me believe that open software is just an temporary utopy.

You might be more comfortable using the wordpress.com hosted blogging service.

I repeat you: I never installed an outside of repository plugin or theme, and I have had SPAMs and SPLOGs and database garbage. I have 4 or 5 plugins for exploits, antivirus... Can you explain how could this happend? I´ve been almost a week offline, and now my blogs are with just the minimun settings.

So, what specific Plugins caused the problems you're having?

It is far more likely that your FTP credentials were compromised, or that you have an insecure host configuration.

Back to the topic: May I know when WordPress.org will have another revesion, let´s say 3.2.2?

I have no clue...?

24. mercadder
    Posted 2 years ago #

Sorry for the delay Chip, I was resolving serious issues for the upgrading to WordPress 3.2.1.

WordPress.com hosted service doesn't allows plugins, so that is not the solution, Chip.

The problem I see with this wordpress.org platform, is that plugins, themes, and framework are not controlled by the community. Incompatibility and hacking causes all the problem here. Right?

So, third party cause the damage.

It´s difficult to find out what plugin cause certain problems, and Chip, do you think if I surely know what is the name of the plugin I will going to post a question here?

Right now, after export/import database. I had that RE-BUILT the entire site, deleted multisite and buddypress, and deleted wordpress.org totally broken plugins. It sounds you logical?

Anyway, I still have a last problem, I hope. I´ve made a search here, and I found 2 posts about the broken mailchimp archive plugin, which create a cronjob every second. That is the problem.

And Chip, what do you think I´ve found in those wordpress.org post? Nothing. They didn´t post the solution. And the plugin author is missing. The situation is that a problem like this doesn´t have to exist at all. So, this approach is wrong.

Multisites and Buddypress as well, introduces another factor in the incompatibility problem, making the database more fragil.

Do you think we are going in the rigth direction: thousands of possible problems "attacking" the platform, everyday.

I am talking about that WordPress.org have to RETHINK all the approach to avoid hacking and incompatibility problems. We need ideas, what are yours Chip?

What do you think if wordpress.org creates something like "release certification" for the WordPress release, to certify the plugins and themes? And please, don´t talk about that untrusted thing "broken yes or not" in the plugin page. I am talking about a developer team that test incompatibility and virus issues, in every plugin and theme uploaded here.

If this trusted certification can´t be afforded, the incomptibility problems will kill the entire platform, and other more robust platform will take the users base. It´s simple like that.

(Sorry for off topic)

25. curbsideaudio
    Posted 2 years ago #

I also have this issue. I'm running a theme called instinct. It happened abruptly and i'm desperate for a solution. I have a due date quickly approaching!!

I've tried switching to the Twenty-Eleven theme and the problem persists. It fails on all three of the major browsers (Chrome, IE, and FireFox).

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic

Tags