Support » Fixing WordPress » 3.2 Plugin, Theme upgrade folder deletion problem

• I have had this issue as well as another topic I have read here, and I was not sure if it was just something with Windows server or WordPress.

I have had this when updating two plugins and the twenty eleven theme.

This is what happened in my case, the plugins ‘include’ folder and the themes ‘inc’ were not deleted, could this be because a script in the folder was in use on the admin page?

http://digitalraindrops.net/images/bookmarks.png

If I am upgrading twenty eleven from admin then I am using the files in the /inc/ folder.

When the update tries to copy the flies access to the include folder is denied.

Using FileZilla the folder still exists but will not delete or rename.

The file could also be seen in the ISP control panel File Manager, and could not be accessed, renamed or deleted, although file permissions are correct.

A manual transfer of files and it looks like a file cannot be replaced and causes this problem.
    http://digitalraindrops.net/images/bookmarks-2.png

I have to wait 30 minutes for error to clear and the folder to dissapear, so I am not sure if it is a WordPress or Windows server problem.

Regards

David

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Thread Starter Digital Raindrops

(@adeptris)

I see there are some other users getting this error, today updating WordPress Importer plugin, which is not in use, same problem, folder not deleted or writeable?

An error occurred while updating WordPress Importer: Could not create directory. D:/digitalraindrops.net/wwwroot/wp-content/plugins/wordpress-importer/.

David

Moderator Ipstenu (Mika Epstein)

(@ipstenu)

🏳️‍🌈 Advisor and Activist

I have to wait 30 minutes for error to clear and the folder to dissapear, so I am not sure if it is a WordPress or Windows server problem.

Server.

Basically the PHP setup on your server doesn’t have the ‘right’ permissions to auto-upgrade. Neither do mine, for that matter.

Thread Starter Digital Raindrops

(@adeptris)

Hi Ipstenu,
    I have been auto updating for a couple of years, the update of the theme and plugin deleted all the files and folders except one, (in the plugin a sub folder) where this last folder seems to be in flux or a cache.

Because I can see it in Filezilla, and in my ISP’s Control Panels file manager, but I cannot access it, delete it or rename it, for about twenty minutes after the failed upgrade.

My ISP has already said that it is not a server permissions issue, and nothing has changed.

Looking at the forum it is not just me that is getting this, and I did find a ticket from 8 months ago on trac with a similar issue to do with a slash, when recreating the directory.

It looks like the new directory is being written before the old one gets deleted and causes the error!

Regards

David

(@ipstenu)

Any time WP can’t delete a file, it’s due to PHP and/or permissions and ownership. Basically, WP is using PHP on your server to delete and then add files. If the permissions/ownership aren’t ‘correct’ for your install of PHP, then it can’t delete the files. This functionality has not changed.

I’m quite sure your PHP version and server OS have been upgraded in the last few years 😉 Mine worked fine until around WP 2.7 and then bombed out, hasn’t worked since (I know why – it’s PHP DSO + APC, but the fix is to stop using APC, which I don’t want to do).

A manual transfer of files and it looks like a file cannot be replaced and causes this problem. http://digitalraindrops.net/images/bookmarks-2.png

If a MANUAL file transfer is causing issues, then it’s the server. The end. The files on the server have bad permissions/ownership if you can’t delete them, and that’s why WP can’t do it either.

(@adeptris)

Hi Ipstenu,
    I will raise a ticket with my ISP again and see what comes back thanks for your input.

If a MANUAL file transfer is causing issues, then it’s the server. The end.

It is not a manual file transfer, that is how I have corrected the failures, and tonight the “WordPress Import” plugin update failed.

30 minutes later Admin > Plugins >AddNew searched for “WordPress Import”, this just installed automatic, no problem created the folder and transfered the files.

It is the upgrade process that is failing, deleting and creating files is happening but there is something else that causes this.

It is not aways the server this is a ticket from eight months ago where it was a WordPress fix that was required.

http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/15575 it has the keywords “needs-patch 3.2-early added”

Looking at that ticket, it could also be the browser an Internet Explorer issue, sometimes the links become unclickable when I am browsing, so I switch to FireFox.

Sorry I forgot to say that WordPress core updated 3.1.2 to 3.2.0 to 3.2.1 automatic with no problem, but sexybookmarks, twenty eleven and “WordPress Import” upgrades failed, a couple of other plugins did upgrade ok, but I am not sure which browser.

I will explore all avenues and report back.

Regards

David

(@ipstenu)

Do you, or do you not, have to wait 30 minutes for a folder to clear? If so, that’s the SERVER, not WP.

(@adeptris)

Do you, or do you not, have to wait 30 minutes for a folder to clear? If so, that’s the SERVER, not WP.

This would also happen if a file is locked in the folder, it would not clear until the file is not being used or is unlocked, two of the files have been in the /inc/ or /include/ folders, these have files that call various third party scripts and API’s it could be that these are in use so the file could not be deleted, the other was the twenty eleven theme that was ‘active’ and I was in the admin screen.

I do not have the answers so just floating ideas for discussion.

Topic Backlink to the same issue.

David

(@adeptris)

I think I may have found the problem, if you are on a windows server that offers WinCache.

Have a read of this post.

So it does look like a server issue after all! 🙁

David!

(@adeptris)

I have contated my ISP and they are going to update the Microsoft WinCache on their servers.

Here is a bit more information:
    http://forums.iis.net/t/1169832.aspx
    http://wordpress.org/support/topic/wordpress-on-iis-7-plugin-update-problem?replies=33
    http://ruslany.net/2011/04/wincache-and-wordpress-plugin-upgrade-problem/

Regards

David

(@adeptris)

Just to confirm, my hosting company upgraded wincache to the latest release and the plugins will now upgrade with no problem.

David

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘3.2 Plugin, Theme upgrade folder deletion problem’ is closed to new replies.