WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

[closed] 3.1.3 upgrade issues (62 posts)

1. ericr23
    Posted 3 years ago #

1. I manually upgraded, uploading only the changed files as listed at http://codex.wordpress.org/Version_3.1.3, but the dashboard still says "You are using WordPress 3.1.2." (I upgrade in this way because of several customized files over 5 blogs; it's worked fine for 5 years.)

Looking at the modification dates, I found a few other newer files:

wp-admin/network.php
    wp-includes/class-wp-xmlrpc-server.php
    wp-includes/ms-files.php
    wp-includes/version.php

Updating those files (obviously, the last one most of all) now gets me "You are using WordPress 3.1.3.'

2. But now, there is an error with every admin page:

Warning: call_user_func_array() [function.call-user-func-array]: First argument is expected to be a valid callback, 'send_frame_options_header' was given in /home/xxxx/public_html/blog/wp-includes/plugin.php on line 395

That error only arose after updating the above extra pages, although that may have been due to caches expiring, since none of those pages contains call_user_func_array, although it may well be more complicated than that.

Although admin pages show up, it appears to prevent new posts.

Where is the problem?

2. ericr23
    Posted 3 years ago #

Note: Reverting only the changed files fixes the problem, so it doesn't appear to be an error on my part (though that remains a possibility of course!).

3. (I upgrade in this way because of several customized files over 5 blogs; it's worked fine for 5 years.)

You are a brave man Charlie Brown. The problem with customizing core WordPress files (that is what you mean right?) is that many of the functions are dependent on other files/functions.

Looks like you know how to do the full backup safety net already. Have you tried just installing the 3.1.3 completely untouched on top of your installation? Are your mods really required?

4. Unconformed
    Posted 3 years ago #

Perhaps your blogs would benefit form child themes too

http://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes

Gl

5. ericr23
    Posted 3 years ago #

My mods are not drastic (e.g., excerpt length to 80 words, setting 1 column as default choice for galleries, adding/editing quicktags for the editor, customizing the RSS feed). Some day I should put them all into a plugin, but I'm a dabbler and haven't got comfortable with plugin writing yet.

When I have time, I will try a clean 3.1.3 install. (I still have to do it manually, because I use a private key for SFTP access, which seems to preclude the automatic update.

6. ericr23
    Posted 3 years ago #

OK, I'm pleased to report that a complete clean 3.1.3 upgrade removed the problem. And everything's still fine after I swap in all of my modified files. I must have placed some file(s) in the wrong place(s).

7. ericr23
    Posted 3 years ago #

Thanks for taking the time to help.

8. ericr23
    Posted 3 years ago #

One problem I see with modifying functions via plugin or theme is that I'd still have to check them with each upgrade to make sure some new functionality isn't thwarted. So it actually seems easier to simply change a value in the function. This requires good organization, of course.

I keep a complete untouched version of the current and previous versions as well as complete versions with modified files tagged (by color in Mac OSX). With a new version, if a changed file is one that I've modified I compare a copy of it with my modified file (in BBedit) and apply the modification.

With major upgrades, since the files are often more drastically changed, I refer to notes of the modifications I've made, so I can reapply them if necessary.

9. gbolger
    Posted 3 years ago #

Is anyone having problems accessing their dashboard since upgrading to 3.1.3? Cos I am

I'm getting white screen on dashboard and other pages/posts etc but the external site is viewable; help!

10. mobiller
    Posted 3 years ago #

I am having problems as well, I got an Arcade Plugin and nothing works as should work. Even my website doesn't work properly. Everything is wrong and out of place ? There is a way to return to a previous version of WordPress or a re-install ?

HELP PLEASE

11. @mercime
    Volunteer Moderator
    Posted 3 years ago #

Deactivate all plugins by renaming wp-content/plugins folder to e.g. wp-content/pluginsx via FTP

Then install and activate http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/hotfix/

12. Edwin Dueck
    Posted 3 years ago #

Hello:
    I installed word press using a subdomain name and I can't upgrade to 3.1.
    It comes back upgrade failed then it asks me for my Cpanel info,after I install that and try again it repeats it self.
    I have been having this issue right from the first time.

13. mobiller
    Posted 3 years ago #

Hi all, thanks for the replies.

Still a mess, specially with Dashboard!?

Any other help ?

thanks

14. mickey65
    Posted 3 years ago #

prior to upgrading to 3.1.3 my blog worked fine. after the upgrade, if i set my permalinks to /%postname%/, i get a 404 error - not found message and no posts appear.

if the permalinks are set to default, the posts appear, but i have no access to my rss feeed.

my other blog is still at 3.1.2 and it all works perfect.

15. mickey65
    Posted 3 years ago #

i tried the plugin fix and it did nothing, so i still have the same problems

16. thebomba
    Posted 3 years ago #

Hello,
    I have the same problem with my blog (www.bloguons.net) that I just updated to 3.1.3. It's a brand new blog so there was nothing on it before. I posted two articles and had it for 3 days without noticable problems, when I tried to instal social plugins this error appeared:
    Warning: call_user_func_array() [function.call-user-func-array]: First argument is expected to be a valid callback, 'send_frame_options_header' was given in /homez.169/bloguons/www/wp-includes/plugin.php on line 395

When I delete the different plugins it remains, even if before the installation I didn't have any error message.
    I tried the Hotfix technique and it didn't work.

Should I go back to 3.1.2 also? (I just want tto be sure cause I don't master these tools very well)
    Thanks!

17. esmi
    Forum Moderator
    Posted 3 years ago #

Have you tried:

- deactivating all plugins to see if this resolves the problem. If this works, re-activate the plugins one by one until you find the problematic plugin(s).

- switching to the Twenty Ten theme to rule out any theme-specific problems.

- resetting the plugins folder by FTP or PhpMyAdmin. Sometimes, an apparently inactive plugin can still cause problems.

18. mickey65
    Posted 3 years ago #

i did de-activate all the plugins and tried things. still have the same issues.

switching between 3 different themes does not do anything either.

i would go back to 3.1.2 in a heartbeat, if there was a really simple way to do it.

19. thebomba
    Posted 3 years ago #

Since I tried to reset the plugins, I can't access my admin anymore, or the blog.
    I receive a different error code:
    Fatal error: Call to undefined function add_filter() in /homez.169/bloguons/www/wp-includes/default-filters.php on line 17

What should I do?

20. mickey65
    Posted 3 years ago #

does anyone from wordpress see this, so they know many of us are having major issues, since upgrading?

i talked to my hosting account tech support today and they checked stuff on their side and said everything is working OK, so it is a wordpress issue.

21. satguy01
    Posted 3 years ago #

Also having a problem. Everything worked great till I upgraded. Now one add (image google add) is no longer showing up. De-activated plugs in but to no avail...

Would be great to have 3.12 available. Like mickey65 I would switch in a heartbeat if there was a really simple way to do it. By the look of it there are obviously issues with 3.1.3

22. mickey65
    Posted 3 years ago #

trying different themes did nothing. deactivating my whopping total of 14 plugins and then reactivating them one by one, did nothing.

i want 3.1.2 BACK. i would certainly like for anyone who works with wordpress support to see the issues and at least let us know that either someone or group of people are aware of the problems and are working on them. the so-called hot-fix plugin did absolutely nothing.

we all need help ASAP

23. NPSites
    Posted 3 years ago #

Yea i had the white screen of death with 3.1.2 but 3.1.3 installed without problems

If you need the older version

http://wordpress.org/download/release-archive/

If you need to fix your install then follow the normal steps

disable plugins by renaming the directory
    disable your theme by renaming your current theme unless you are using the wordpress default themes.

Even if you rename the theme folder you should still be able to login

Rollback is tougher and you really need your old database
    If you did not make a backup then I would suggest that you reinstall 3.1.3 and hope it cures it.

Delete the wp-admin and wp-includes folders
    delete your cache folders in your wordpress wp-content folder

do a manual install
    goto website/wplocation/wp-admin/install.php OR update.php

however before you update manually
    you need to backup everything you may have now

Good Luck
    Wont be fun

http://www.npsites.com

or join the irc chat on freenode #WordPress
    and I will try to give you a hand

24. mickey65
    Posted 3 years ago #

does anyone from wordpress tech support see our comments about the problems after we have upgraded to 3.1.3?

this really is getting to be a frustrating problem after all the hard work and time we have put into setting up our blogs and trying to make them something special and useful to others.

25. Tim Moore
    Posted 3 years ago #

@mickey65: One thing to note with your issue: you have a setup that isn't recommended. Read http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Permalinks#Structure_Tags

Setting your permalinks to just /%postname%/ is a known problem. It is recommended to use /%year%/%postname%/ or some other such combination. Try that and see if your issue is alleviated.

26. ericr23
    Posted 3 years ago #

For the record, the permalinks for one of my blogs are set to just /%postname%/ and that blog is working fine under 3.1.3 (with the Hotfix plugin, although it was working without it, too -- I'm not sure when what it fixes is called).

27. Christopher
    Posted 3 years ago #

It seems like many people are having issues with 3.1.3. I will most likely wait for the next release (e.g., 3.1.4) before upgrading.

My question is this: Is each release cumulative? In other words, can I upgrade to 3.1.4 directly from 3.1.1? Or would I have to first upgrade to 3.1.2 followed by 3.1.3 then 3.1.4?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bro. Chris

28. mickey65
    Posted 3 years ago #

/%year%/%postname%/ did nothing. problem still exists

deactivated all plugins

saved new permalink type, reloaded blog
    problem still there 4o4 not found, posts dont show
    changed back to default

if i really thought it would do any good, i would take a piece of paper and make a note of how the page looks with my widgets. then copy the code for each widget and save as a text file. then copy my posts to a text file. and after i have everything, delete the blog totally and then create a new blog.

but that is a lot of time and work, if it will not correct the issues.

29. misterpatrick67
    Posted 3 years ago #

I just upgrades a WIP site with 3.1.3 and I can no longer log in to the dashboard. I was logged in and I am still able to work fine, but others trying to log in, or using a different browser is a no-go. I have deactivated all plug-ins, downgraded back to 3.1.2 but nothing is working. Basically, no errors or anything, it just reloads the log in screen. The URL looks like this after an attempted log in.

http://wip.url.com/wp-login.php?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fwip.url.com%2Fwip%2Fwp-admin%2F&reauth=1

I'm hosting on GoDaddy which I am not happy with. Soooo slow.

30. mickey65
    Posted 3 years ago #

anyone have any ideas on how to make wordpress tech support aware of our problems with the upgrade?

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic