WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

3.1 Worst WP update (27 posts)

1. 3dGMX
    Posted 3 years ago #

I have 4 different WP Websites. And ALL have different issues with 3.1...
    From plugins issues to login issues... I just want to say WP 3.1 SUCKS. I don't care if I get banned from this forum, I just wanna say, I trusted WP and failed me in so many ways in the past 3 or 4 days...

2. peterhuk
    Posted 3 years ago #

The biggest problem I have with WP3.1 so far is the front end admin menu bar. It has totally messed up my theme.

Why would WordPress programmers add a utility that makes site wide theme changes without giving the site admin the opportunity of switching it off.

I hate the idea of adding a different plugin for each issue that arise from a WP update. every time a new plugin is added more processing power is being used up.

Just give us the global switch to handle these new features (please!!).

3. liasson
    Posted 3 years ago #

I don't know if it's the worst update of WordPress, but what I do know is that it has given me more problems than the rest. Some of my plugins had to be removed. Now . . . most of the plugins available for uploading haven't been tested on the WP3.1 version. Because of the problems I've been having with the plugins I had prior to the update, I will not install another plugin that has not been tested on the new version. Didn't these plugin gurus take time to test their coding and revise it before the WP3.1 was launched? It should be a rule that before you give us a new version of WP, those plugins should be tested!!!!!!!

WordPress was my choice of applications because it was the easiest to use since all host providers do not give support for these types of applications. Now that I'm having trouble with 3.1, I'm beginning to think that WordPress is complicating things by adding additional features that most of us cannot understand.

Personally, I am not a technician. I know very little about coding and depend on simplicity to keep my websites up. We, the little people, are not knowledgeable enough to keep up with all the bells and whistles you're trying to give us. Leave all that stuff for the professional coders. Please.......!! Example, what's with bar that was added (I'll call it the edit bar)? That wasn't necessary!! KISS it, "folks!"

4. acmparker723
    Posted 3 years ago #

I completely agree with all of you! I updated last night, only to check on my site and see a large margin at the top of the site above the <body>. I was mystified and extremely worried, as it is my business for my website to look good, and it was totally f*$%ed up by that margin.

Having spent the last 4 hours searching for answers, and thinking it was something I had done in my code (which validates perfectly), I stumbled upon this post and now understand the reason for the nightmare that appears to be the "admin bar". The most confusing part is that there is no admin bar on my page! Its just a blank space that looks like sh*t.

I just wish there was some way to turn it off, as I understand that for some this feature is nice, but for me I don't need it nor do I want to see that piece of sh*t stuck to the top of my page.

Please pardon my animosity

5. Tara
    Posted 3 years ago #

hello fellows, please review this 3.1 sticky, it addresses many issues: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/troubleshooting-wordpress-31-master-list?replies=9

6. acmparker723
    Posted 3 years ago #

And I just figured out how to remove it, so again, pardon my animosity.

7. Samuel Wood (Otto)
    Tech Ninja
    Posted 3 years ago #

The most confusing part is that there is no admin bar on my page! Its just a blank space that looks like sh*t.

Your theme is missing the call to wp_footer() in the footer.php file. Fix your theme and the admin bar would appear properly.

8. liasson
    Posted 3 years ago #

acmparker723,

Will you tell us how you fixed your problem for other's to benefit from your experience?

I fixed my problem by removing the WordPress PDF (plugin). The problem that it fixed was that when I was editing a page, the Visual Tab would come up blank; the HTML Tab did show the the code but after I flipped from one tab to the other, BOTH tabs showed code and no images. Removing that plugin fixed the problem.

I'm thinking that space and menu bar that you're talking about went away when you logged off?

9. Jean-Pierre Michaud
    Posted 3 years ago #

i have to vote for this topic... no documentation whatsoever about the major changes in the "network" structure... most of the Buddypress addons are incompatible, create bugs ,etc... and that's without talking about all the plugins that were not updated in the last 2 months...

10. nederkoorn
    Posted 3 years ago #

No you sould be happy with this new feater... its free!
    You can disable it whit this plugin: Disable Admin Bar

11. 123milliseconds
    Posted 3 years ago #

>>Didn't these plugin gurus take time to test their coding and revise it before the WP3.1 was launched? It should be a rule that before you give us a new version of WP, those plugins should be tested!!!!!!!

There are 13,415 plugins

Maybe several hundred on those authors are dead since some plugins are old

YOu cannot expect ALL plugin authors to update all plugins with ALL new releases.

Fortunately you are clever about this, ONLY install plugins marked as tested on 3.1 ... ALL people can do that, and if they do; no one will have such problems

12. 123milliseconds
    Posted 3 years ago #

>>most of the Buddypress addons are incompatible, create bugs ,etc..

thats not WPs fault, that buddy...

Plugins must be compatible with WP, NOT WP must change to be compat. with all plugins

If all plugins follow all rules, there will NEVER be a incompat. plugin.

13. Samuel B
    Posted 3 years ago #

wonder how many of you folks participated in the months of beta testing?

14. kimharding
    Posted 3 years ago #

You mean this isn't beta testing? It certainly feels like it!! How can I turn anything off when I can access any of the dashboard functions?

15. Samuel B
    Posted 3 years ago #

16. govpatel
    Posted 3 years ago #

I have updated from day one and I have not had any problems and I have buddypress running on my website along with other buddypress plugins and quite few of other plugins

My experience with wordpress has positive so far

17. Verdanas
    Posted 3 years ago #

Ditto.

WP has always been great, and all upgrades were painless...now they hit 3.1 and that just wrecks everything.

FIX IT!!!

18. Tara
    Posted 3 years ago #

like govpatel, I have updated from day one and I have not had any problems whatsoever.

19. liasson
    Posted 3 years ago #

I've been trying to trouble shoot my problems and I can't seem to pinpoint them. I've checked with GoDaddy's Tech Support, Comcast Cable providers, Apple Computer Tech; all my equipment checks out just fine. I've unplugged my plugins, I've even changed themes and I still can't get the pages to load quickly. Most of the time they will not reload after an edit (I have to refresh at least 4 times or walk away from the computer for 20 minutes before it starts to work right); or it gives me an external server error, then I have to close my browser and start over - that doesn't always work, either. I've tried using Safari, Firefox, Opera (I refuse to use IE) and it's still does the same thing. I have 9 sites, 2 I did not upgrade to the WP3.1. Those 2 whizzz through changes, the other 7 are driving me to want to commit mayhem!! Any suggestions? Don't get me wrong, I've tried other applications; Publisher, Dreamweaver, SiteGrinder, none compare to WordPress. I can't code so I'm pretty much at the mercy of this forum's members. In the meantime, I'm going to get on my knees and pray for Divine Intervention!!!

20. govpatel
    Posted 3 years ago #

Can you paste your url see how long it takes to load

21. liasson
    Posted 3 years ago #

Sure, but the problem isn't looking at it on the net, the problem is when I work on the admin part of WP . . . when editing.

(Thanks for taking the time)

HERE it is

22. govpatel
    Posted 3 years ago #

If you having problem working admin panel then there may something that is timing you out and that can be setting on the Go Daddy server.

23. liasson
    Posted 3 years ago #

That's the first thing I thought of, so I called them and they checked out their server and said their hosting was not a problem.

24. SGulland
    Posted 3 years ago #

My problem is that there is often nothing in the VISUAL window when editing a post, OR that the VISUAL text is there, but with HTML coding, AND that "preview post" shows just a solid block of type, w/o any spacing. AND that the usual toolbars, which I need, are nowhere in evidence.

What a mess.

25. liasson
    Posted 3 years ago #

SGulland,

The same thing happened to me. I had to make sure that all my plugins were compatible with the new version. The ones that had not been tested, I had to unplug, which made dramatic changes to my website. Now if a plugin hasn't been tested on the new version, I don't use it and most are not. I updated 7 of my sites; 2 I did not. Even though those 2 have larger files and more plugins, they update pages way faster the the other 7. I thought about trying to change the 7 back to the old version but I don't think that's possible. I've talked to my host provider, my cable internet provider and Apple; I've changed themes, eliminated plugins, and I'll be darned. I can't fix the problem. When updating a page, it will take FOREVER to load or, it won't load at all. I hope something is figured out soon.

26. raphaelsmp
    Posted 3 years ago #

PLEASE - GIVE US THE NEXT VERSION! I hate this 3.1 version. I have a photo intense site and when working on drafts, it's all screwed up, sliding up and down and all over the place. HATE IT!

27. wordpressbill
    Posted 2 years ago #

3dGMX ROCKS! Thanks for all your help too from previous posts bro.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic