• Resolved ForstRose

(@forstrose)

On 3/3 I manually updated to WP3.1 and updated plugins that weren’t yet current.

I’ve been running WP for about two years and finally navigated my first (or so I thought) successful upgrade. The site seems to appear and have the posts and content for the reader however I am unable to access both published and draft posts as well as new posts. Not sure about posts that were scheduled and should have posted (whether there were any or not). Gist of it is I cannot make any changes to a post once it is published and am forced to start from scratch for any new posts when I had established a templating method of sorts by using a variety of draft posts that I could copy and paste from for specific types of posts.

My site is http://bibliophilesretreat.com, I had difficulty accessing older posts though it was rather hit and miss prior to 3.1 but since most of them were imported from an earlier blog which was converted into wordpress.org blog it was not enough of an issue for me to be concerned by. However now that my entire post list in the dashboard indicates the posts exist and the previously published posts actually still appear on the actual site this is no longer a minor annoyance that I can ignore. Also the majority of the comments that have been approved also do not show up in the dashboard yet once again they still appear to exist according to the Dashboard counts.

Plug ins are Akismet, AddThis, Page Links To, Comment Luv, Secure and Accessible PHP Contact Form, and Copyrighted Post

All Plugins were deactivated and site reverted to Twenty-ten theme prior to doing the upgrade. When I performed the upgrade and returned to the admin page it had the button saying the database was to be upgraded and after clicking that it said it completed successfully.

So now how do I access the existing content from the back end in order to continue maintaining this blog???? I’m logged in but cannot access either content or menus for major content of the site for editing or updating. Also cannot edit new posts once published.

My theme was customized from Celestial Aura. I used a three-column layout and moved the sidebars both to the right instead of sandwiching the main content. The majority of the theme remained the same otherwise and the primary customizations were in design elements such as the header, background image, and colors for background and text of contents.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Have you tried:

– checking through Troubleshooting WordPress 3.1 – Master List

– deactivating all plugins to see if this resolves the problem. If this works, re-activate the plugins one by one until you find the problematic plugin(s).

– switching to the Twenty Ten theme to rule out any theme-specific problems.

resetting the plugins folder by FTP or PhpMyAdmin. Sometimes, an apparently inactive plugin can still cause problems.

Thread Starter ForstRose

(@forstrose)

Thanks Esmi for replying however the issue wasn’t Plug-in or Theme Specific. I spent alot of time and energy on trying to work around the plug-in issues and regained most of the functionality lost due to conflicts that affected admin access only. Come to discover today the entire problem was on my hosting provider’s end (per-se). One plug-in author had the foresight to indicate when activation failed that it required PHP5. While PHP5.x.xx is a stable release and in common use my hosting service defaults all servers to PHP4.x.x So through their site I was able to find the method that would allow me to instruct my site to use PHP5 instead of PHP4 and everything is happy now. One simple line of code in the .htaccess file of the main site directory (very easy fix once the real issue was identified) it also seems to have solved some other nagging issues that weren’t enough of a problem to worry about but annoying nonetheless.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘3.1 Update lost all posts and many comments ONLY in Dashboard’ is closed to new replies.