WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

3.0.4 update - Oops? (5 posts)

1. donlee
    Posted 3 years ago #

The update to version 3.0.4 appears to have a boo-boo.

The files in wp-content/plugins/akismet were left in place, so if you update all the changed files, you get a downgraded version of the akismet plugin from 2.5.1 to 2.4.0

Oops?

-dgl-

2. Yeah, they know. It's a wont-fix.

3. Joseph Scott
    Posted 3 years ago #

For minor version number releases WordPress does not update the Akismet code. Changing that is something that we've talked about in the past, but so far no firm commitment to changing it has happened yet.

4. donlee
    Posted 3 years ago #

I saw it as a "rogue" plug-in that should not have been included in the 3.0.4 release.

I gather the decision is to include the akismet code in the package. If so, I would think it should not be located in the plug-ins. (where I expect the mainline upgrade to not intrude)

I'm only glancingly familiar with the issues in WordPress, so take my comments for what they are worth. To me, this was unexpected.

I don't like using the "auto-update", because it requires me to give the webserver write access to the php code. (!) I much prefer to update the code "manually". I just did a "diff" between the 3.0.4 release and what I had installed, looked over the diffs and satisfied myself that I could get away with just copying over the changed files.

I saw this akismet anomaly along the way, and thought I should report it.

Does the WordPress upgrade procedure have special case code to check/avoid akismet plug-in, or is the user expected to re-update akismet after every update?

-dgl-

5. Joseph Scott
    Posted 3 years ago #

I agree that the getting downgraded isn't a good experience.

On the update feature, you don't have to give your web server write permissions to the PHP files, that is only one of a few different options there are to make that feature work. http://codex.wordpress.org/Updating_WordPress

For most users I think the easiest thing is to just re-update the plugin. It won't be for every update though, for instance WordPress 3.1 (the next release) has the current version of the Akismet plugin.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic

Tags