WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

3.0.3 - Sending Comment/Spam Emails, Nothing In Queue (29 posts)

1. JeepBeat
    Posted 3 years ago #

Since upgrading to 3.0.3, I have been receiving tons of emails from my WordPress telling me I have a new comment pending on my site. Clearly from the content within the emails it is clear these are not legitimate comments but in fact spam.

When I log into my control panel (or use the iPhone app) to moderate these new "comments", no items are listed in the Pending queue. This would mean Akismet has successfully recognized the Spam. However, I still receive emails from the WordPress system confusing the spam as a legitimate content.

So why am I receiving emails all of a sudden? Anyone else having a similar problem?

2. Joseph Scott
    Posted 3 years ago #

Are you also using the latest version of the Akismet plugin, 2.5.1?

3. JeepBeat
    Posted 3 years ago #

Hi, yes. I am using 2.5.1.

4. Joseph Scott
    Posted 3 years ago #

Akismet now tracks a history for each comment. If you look at the history for one of these comments that may give us a better idea of what is going on.

5. chengas123
    Posted 3 years ago #

I'm having this same problem.

Here's what was in the comment history for the last spam comment I was notified about:
    10 hours ago - Akismet caught this comment as spam during an automatic retry.
    10 hours ago - Akismet was unable to check this comment (response: ), will automatically retry again later.

6. Joseph Scott
    Posted 3 years ago #

Sounds like your server has periodic issues connecting to akismet.com to check comments for spam.

7. chengas123
    Posted 3 years ago #

Is this a new behavior? I don't want to get en email every time there's a connection error. Much better would be if I only got en email after three failed attempts or something along those lines.

8. Joseph Scott
    Posted 3 years ago #

Previous versions of the plugin simply ignored connection problems. Now it reschedules checks when it finds a failure.

If you are having that many failures, that frequently I recommend contacting your hosting provider to help pin down why.

9. chengas123
    Posted 3 years ago #

I'll try, but I'm not sure they're going to be super responsive or able to do a lot to help. Regardless, the new behavior is pretty awful. It's great that the plugin is rescheduling a retry now; I just don't want to receive an email because of it.

10. JeepBeat
    Posted 3 years ago #

Here is an example from one of the Spam comments I received. It's similar to Chengas':

10 hours ago - Akismet caught this comment as spam during an automatic retry.
    11 hours ago - Akismet was unable to check this comment (response: ), will automatically retry again later.

And I agree with Chengas: I doubt my hosting provider will be responsive over a vague inquiry such as WordPress spam server checks.

Is this a possible flaw in the new Akismet filter? Why would our servers, for example, have trouble processing a request like this from WordPress?

11. Joseph Scott
    Posted 3 years ago #

Each comment is scanned by akismet.com, if your server can't reach akismet.com then it won't be able to check if the comment is spam or not.

12. JeepBeat
    Posted 3 years ago #

Is there an official way of logging a bug with WordPress? Or feature request?

13. Joseph Scott
    Posted 3 years ago #

Core WordPress tickets are at core.trac.wordpress.org

14. chengas123
    Posted 3 years ago #

Post the link to the bug here if you file one. It makes sense that the plugin can't tell whether the comment is spam until it reaches akismet.com, but I'd prefer not to be emailed on the first failed attempt.

15. Is there an official way of logging a bug with WordPress?

Yes, please follow this guide:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Reporting_Bugs

16. JeepBeat
    Posted 3 years ago #

OK, I'm going to submit a bug.

It's out of control. I think I need to disable comments because the amount of spam emails coming through is unmanageable.

17. Joseph Scott
    Posted 3 years ago #

Still sounds like the main issue is your WordPress install not being able to reach akismet.com to check comments for spam. Until that is resolved you likely still be getting large amounts of spam.

18. chengas123
    Posted 3 years ago #

Getting the network issue resolved will be a pain. How do I prove to my hosting provider that the issue is on their end and not akismet.com? It would be soooo much better if the akismet plugin only emailed me after the retry failed. That's not to say I shouldn't try to address whatever network flakiness is occurring as well, but the behavior of this plugin is definitely not good.

19. JeepBeat
    Posted 3 years ago #

20. cadfile
    Posted 3 years ago #

I am getting the same e-mails and agree I want to be able to either turn them off or only have an e-mail sent after x number of tries.

The notice on the comment page says about retrying the comment but there is nothing in the queue.

I've also notice a huge spike in spam hits like in the hundreds.

21. skadar
    Posted 3 years ago #

I would also like to report the exact same issue with the exact same software versions. 3.0.3 and 2.5.1

For the past few weeks, Akismet is simply functioning differently. I used to only get 1 or 2 emails a day from Akismet asking me to moderate a questionable comment. Now I get emails for (virtually?) every comment, even if Akismet already marked it as spam. This behavior has essentially broken the usability of the email moderation feature.

Thanks for any help!

22. Joseph Scott
    Posted 3 years ago #

Do you have any other plugins that might be interacting with comment moderation and emails?

So far I've been unable to reproduce this. If we can figure out the steps to reproducing this then I can track down what is going on and come up with a fix.

23. JeepBeat
    Posted 3 years ago #

here are the plugins i have activated. all are up-to-date versions:

Akismet
    All in One SEO Pack
    Cleaner Gallery
    Google XML Sitemaps
    Lightbox 2
    My Category Order
    My Link Order
    ShareThis
    Wordpress Automatic Upgrade
    WPTouch

24. JeepBeat
    Posted 3 years ago #

Also, here are my Discussion Settings:

Attempt to notify any blogs linked to from the article.
    Allow link notifications from other blogs (pingbacks and trackbacks.)
    Allow people to post comments on new articles
    Comment author must fill out name and e-mail
    An administrator must always approve the comment
    Break comments into pages with 50 top level comments per page and the last page displayed by default
    Hold a comment in the queue if it contains 2 or more links.
    Show avatars

And recently, I disabled "Email me whenever Anyone posts a comment" per the complaints in this thread.

25. cadfile
    Posted 3 years ago #

I don't have any plug-ins that interact with comments beyond Akismet except for "Subscribe To Comments" v2.1.2

Here is a link to a pict of the notice on comment dashboard page as soon as I got an e-mail saying a comment was being held. Notice even though Akismet says it will retry in 7 mins there is zero pending.

Something that seems might be playing a part is a big spike in spam hits on my site since the update.

Pict showing Akisment stats since 12/26

26. cadfile
    Posted 3 years ago #

Oh and also - might be relevant - since upgrading I don't have any of those "cleared by..." notes on the comments that are approved. Do they only show up for new comments or also for old comments

27. Joseph Scott
    Posted 3 years ago #

And you are using the latest version of the Akismet plugin (2.5.1)?

It's possible that the increase in spam is making it harder for your site to reach akismet.com to check comments for spam, but hard to tell.

28. cadfile
    Posted 3 years ago #

I just checked and I am using 2.5.1 and also thought the spike was swamping the checks. That's one reason I have comments turn off after 14 days normally to hold that down.

When I checked the status screen all the ip numbers were green.

I was thinking of deleting the plugin and installing it manually since I think I had an update glitch before where I was sure I had updated it and it came up again.

29. JeepBeat
    Posted 3 years ago #

Attached is a screenshot of my Akismet profile as well.

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/5636/akisd.jpg

I updated Akismet and WordPress on 12/15. So I was receiving large spam spikes prior to the upgrade. but the emails from akismet didn't start pouring in until immediately after the update.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic