• This is in reference to Experience.com … When you type in http://www.experience.com to visit our WP website, you will be redirected to http://www.experience.com/entry-level-jobs/

This 301 redirect is causing us to lose tracking within Google Analytics. Therefore, we would like to stop the redirect. I have just started working within the company and the current dev team is telling me it is not possible. In the words of Kevin Garnett: “Anything is possible.”

Here is the response I have been given:
    For the WordPress redirect from www.experience.com/ to www.experience.com/entry-level-jobs/ this is the way WordPress handles friendly urls. WordPress was originally developed to handle a single page blog and the features that make it look like s full website are sort of a hack on top of the original. To determine if this can be changed in some way will require research.

I am asking the experts on WordPress.org if there is a solution or a more detailed explanation than they have given me.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Moderator Ipstenu (Mika Epstein)

(@ipstenu)

🏳️‍🌈 Advisor and Activist

Of course anything is possible, but the limit of ‘anything’ on a site is actually pretty easy to find. And not a lot of research needed.

1) Check your .htaccess to make sure there’s nothing in there forcing a redirect.

2) Resave your permalinks (yes, it’s stupid).

3) Turn off all your plugins.

Out of the box, WordPress does not redirect the main page to another URL. Even if you use a static front page, it keeps the URL as domain.com so … Your devs are, at a guess, making an excuse to not have to say that something’s screwy on your install.

Thread Starter jsingh1022

(@jsingh1022)

Thank you Ipstenu. I will look into your solution and report back.

Jay

Thread Starter jsingh1022

(@jsingh1022)

Question I just thought of – is it more reasonable to say they have installed within a directory called /entry-level-jobs/ ? And that would explain why the site needs to redirect to that directory to display properly.

In that case, it would probably make sense to move everything from the /entry-level-jobs/ directory to the root / directory – correct?

Moderator Ipstenu (Mika Epstein)

(@ipstenu)

🏳️‍🌈 Advisor and Activist

If they installed it in a subfolder called ‘entry-level-jobs’ then any redirect like that would be eaither by .htaccess in the main directory, or an index.php file.

You can RUN WordPress out of a subdirectory, but before we get there, go to your fileserver via FTP and see where WP is installed 🙂

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘301 Redirect on Home Page’ is closed to new replies.