WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

301 redirect not redirecting (8 posts)

1. sendaraven
    Posted 1 year ago #

Hello
    I have recently migrated over from blogger and installed the Blogger 301 Redirect plug in. My old blogger site was http://www.sendaraven.blogspot.co.uk (it used to be blogspot.com but changed in the migration??), new wordpress is http://www.sendaraven.com. I followed all instructions, but after adding the generated code to blogger, traffic is still not redirected.

I'm worried I have lost all my SEO (I tried using another SEO plug in which isn't active now).

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated. I can't find any threads to help with this.

Thanks

2. s_ha_dum
    Posted 1 year ago #

You didn't follow the instructions. You need to "Replace the code of your blogger template code with the template code from the plugin’s options page". You copied the code into the blogger template but you didn't replace the existing code. The code you were given is the entire html page top to bottom.

I am not sure how Blogger works-- its been too long since I messed with it-- but you have somehow managed to paste the HTML inside a style tag. If you look at the source of the page you can see that. That is not going to work.

3. sendaraven
    Posted 1 year ago #

well, I tried replacing all the code, but an "error.." message came up, then I tried just replacing part of the template code, which saved ok but the site doesn't redirect. Are you saying everything in the blogger HTML template box should be replaced with the generated code, or just part of it should be replaced? That's how I read it and what I did but it only saves with an error?

4. s_ha_dum
    Posted 1 year ago #

Are you saying everything in the blogger HTML template box should be replaced with the generated code, or just part of it should be replaced? That's how I read it and what I did but it only saves with an error?

I don't know exactly how to do this with Blogger, and I don't know why you are getting an error, but the code snippet provided is supposed to be the entire Blogger page. All of it. You can tell because the snippet starts with a doctype and then <html> and ends with </html> and you can only have one html block on a page (except inside iframes which this isn't). And also because there is a content-equiv redirect in there that has to be in the main <head> of the page to work. That redirect is what really matters. Yes, everything should be replaced with that code.

5. sendaraven
    Posted 1 year ago #

It's odd, that's exactly what I'm doing but the following message is being relayed

"Error parsing XML, line 1, column 182: The value of attribute "dir" associated with an element type "null" must not contain the '<' character."

I have tried to fix it according to this message but I don't know enough about coding to know what I'm doing. Any help or ideas you have are greatly appreciated!

6. s_ha_dum
    Posted 1 year ago #

I'd guess that is a bug in Blogger's parser. It looks to me like <$something> is a Blogger variable but their parser isn't accepting that pattern for the "dir=". Or Blogger has changed something and the plugin hasn't caught up. Just replace it with 'dir="rtl"' (right to left) or 'dir="ltr"' (left to right), whichever is appropriate.

7. sendaraven
    Posted 1 year ago #

OK, so changed that and it's now giving me

"Error parsing XML, line 1, column 201: The content of elements must consist of well-formed character data or markup."

Do you think it's best to contact Blogger? Seems like a bug or something??

8. s_ha_dum
    Posted 1 year ago #

Again, my knowledge of Blogger internals is limited, but it does seem like something related to their parser, even if it isn't actually a bug.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic