WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

[resolved] 3.0 UPGRADE Fatal error: Call to a member function add_rewrite_tag() on a non-ob (32 posts)

1. JyoNah
    Posted 4 years ago #

UPDATE: I was able to get my site back up by renaming the plugins folder as instructed in this simmilar thread. Still trying to see where to go from here.
    -----------------------------------------
    Filling the boards with yet another 3.0 Upgrade story...
    This is my error:
    Fatal error: Call to a member function add_rewrite_tag() on a non-object in /home/content/u/r/b/urbaneco/html/wp-includes/taxonomy.php on line 289

The same error shows at both the home page and the wp-admin page.

I believe it may have been caused by my forgetting to disable plugins prior to my upgrade.

I backed up the database, but it did nothing when I tried to restore.

Concerned site: http://reuseradio.org

2. johnbendever
    Posted 4 years ago #

I had the same issue on one of the sites I manage. After FTPing in to the server, I created a folder called "inactive" under my plugins folder. I then placed ALL plugins in this folder. The site came right back online. Then I added each plug in one by one back into the plugins folder. The plugin I found to be the culprit was in a folder called "podcasting"

All my other plugins have been placed back where they were originally installed & the site is working properly again.

I hope this helps!

3. esmi
    Forum Moderator
    Posted 4 years ago #

4. Andrew Nacin
    Lead Developer
    Posted 4 years ago #

5. silverpenpub
    Posted 4 years ago #

Many thanks, johnbendever. Deleted the Podcasting plugin and it came right back up!

6. ddarby14
    Posted 4 years ago #

If Podcasting plugin is causing this problem for you check this out: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/411469 - should take care of it for you on the new 3.0

7. Iluminador
    Posted 4 years ago #

Thanks to everyone for their insight. This error had killed one of my sites.

8. cubehouse
    Posted 4 years ago #

The podcasting plugin also killed my site and is now fixed by simply deleting the plugin folder.

9. jewishbusiness
    Posted 4 years ago #

johnbendever Thank you so much.

10. brechtp
    Posted 4 years ago #

Created a 'temp' folder in plugins (ftp) and dragged (offender) podcasting plugin to it and the problem went away

11. ddarby14
    Posted 4 years ago #

The Podcasting plugin has been updated with the 3.0 fix per http://wordpress.org/support/topic/411377 (multiple confirmed successes) - install the update and you will be back to normal.

12. ljhardy
    Posted 4 years ago #

I'm having the same issue with the Lifestream plugin

13. fswebdesign
    Posted 4 years ago #

We can't work out which one of our plugins is causing the issue.
    Everything was going ok until the plugins were reactivated, then the site went again!

I'm tired and fed up after 4 hours of trying now.... :-(

Any ideas??

14. fswebdesign
    Posted 4 years ago #

I can see a plugin called feedburner feedsmith plugin 2.3 in my FTP files which doesn't show in my WordPress Plugin list. What is this if any one knows, and could it be the culprit?

15. twhiting9275
    Posted 4 years ago #

fswd:
    You need to do everything that was suggested earlier to fix this.
    Major upgrades cause problems from time to time. Remove all of your plugins (put them in another directory), put them back one by one and access the site. Not really that hard to figure out which is causing the problem

16. fswebdesign
    Posted 4 years ago #

twhiting9275:

"Put them back one by one"... ?
    Are you saying that putting the files in another directory (I take it you mean a folder) should be done one by one?

Then access the plugins via the WP admin area?

I've done this twice, refreshing my WP page after each plugin is reactivated. However, it all goes well until I actually refresh the front end of the site and it all goes pear-shaped again.

Clearly not that simple for relative novices! Am I doing something wrong?

Cheers

17. spreadsheetninja
    Posted 4 years ago #

Mailpress_MailingList also causes this error for those of you who use it.

18. twhiting9275
    Posted 4 years ago #

fswd:
    This is VERY simple to do. Follow the steps of the second reply, and you will find them working. It's not hard, complicated, or anything else.
    Step 1:
    MOVE ALL YOUR PLUGINS ELSEWHERE
    step 2:
    Install 3.0
    Step 3:
    Move them back one by one and activate them until you see the problem

This isn't rocket science, it's common sense

19. aguernz
    Posted 4 years ago #

I found the version I had of WORDTUBE was causing the problem.

20. reece_wba
    Posted 4 years ago #

For a client's blog, I found that Podcasting 2.3 was incompatible for the same reason JyoNah initially created this thread for.

After I updated to the latest version of Podcasting to 2.3.10 and reactivated the Podcasting plugin, this fixed the problem.

So anyone else that stumbles upon this thread, please follow instructions as advised above to deactivate/disable ALL your plugins and reactivate one by one.

You never know, but it may be a different plugin that is the culprit, but the process to fix the issue should be the same in most cases.

Cheers,

Reece.

21. jyonge
    Posted 4 years ago #

Thanks and just a note to anyone as stupid as I am. Dont try to make the changes in the server control panel file manager...it should be the same as changing the directories via FTP but for some reason it is not and does not work, had to bust out the FileZilla and then no problem at all everything went back in no problem all the plugins activated and worked fine one at a time :) Thanks for the help all you wonderful posters :)

22. Jeff Sterup
    Posted 4 years ago #

I just upgraded a site to 3.0 and got this error. It was running an old version of a plugin called wordTube. Upgraded to the new plugin version and viola its fixed! Now I'm trying to figure out why I'm getting an error on wp-includes/locale.php being included twice.

23. foomagoo - Turn off your plugins and see if it goes away. If so, one of them is calling it badly. If not, open a new post for help :)

24. wprelief
    Posted 4 years ago #

I found the issue to be caused by wp-e-commerce (WP Shopping Cart) on my blog.

I aggregated a list of the plugins that have been found to cause this issue and put instructions about how I went about fixing the problem on my blog here: http://wp-relief.com/2010/07/09/call-to-a-member-function-add_rewrite_tag-on-a-non-object/

25. Tashty
    Posted 4 years ago #

Yup there's definately a conflict with wp-ecommerce plugin. My solution was the following once receiving the error "UPGRADE Fatal error: Call to a member function add_rewrite_tag() on a non-ob taxonomy.php" is to comment out the lines in taxonomy.php 289 and 290 like so // infront of each line. My site then whent back online. I deactivated all the plugins and I switched my permalink settings in the settings panel of wordpress back to default structure. I then made sure I had upgrade the e-commerce and any other plugins that needed upgrading, deactivated them again. I then uncommented the lines, reuploaded the taxonomy.php and reactived all the plugins and received no error. I have experienced unsual warnings and found that whilst making certain changes it's best to head back to default permalink structure, make your changes and then revert to custom structure.

26. christinarule
    Posted 4 years ago #

Putting all my plugins in a "inactive folder worked for me thanks!!! The issues was with the plugin "wordtube"

27. LozzyR
    Posted 4 years ago #

Thank you to Jyonah and Johnbendever for your solutions. I had the same problem and it was my nextgen gallery causing the problem. Site back up but no pictures so am trying to find a forum solution to that now!

28. randygolf
    Posted 4 years ago #

Thank you, thank you!!! Talk about having a panic attack!!! Thanks to this posting from many of you, my golfmindpower.com site is back.

My fatal mistake was upgrading wordpress without de-activating plugins. Yes it was PODCASTING (that I don't even use) that was the issue.

For you GoDaddy users, the only way out is to get into to filemanager and delete all of that plugin.

Once I did, my site was back up!
    Thanks much
    Randy

29. joelbrock
    Posted 3 years ago #

um. Thank you VERY much!

steps to recovery for me:

1. rename wp-content/plugins/ to wp-content/__plugins/
    2. create an empty plugins folder
    3. load up the plugins mgmt page
    4. delete empty plugins folder
    5. rename wp-content/__plugins/ to wp-content/plugins/
    6. refresh plugins mgmt page

THANK YOU!!!

30. Steven Vrancken
    Posted 3 years ago #

Thanks for the insights, my site was also down.

I did not have the podcasting plugin installed, but an old
    plugin called nextgen-gallery.

I put this plugin in a temporary folder, and now the site is online again.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic