WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

[resolved] [closed] 3.0 Plugin Upgrade Bug? Could Not Create Directory (100 posts)

1. eddihughes
    Posted 3 years ago #

Upgraded to 3.0 today. After upgrade, went to upgrade plugins and got caught up on a bug.

http://imgur.com/hBfAo.jpg

Dashboard -> Updates -> Select all plugins. It asks me for FTP information, punch it in, select FTPS and go.

An error occured while updating podPress: Could not create directory. /public_html.

I get these errors for multiple plugins.

http://imgur.com/o4oKp.jpg

2. adzleese
    Posted 3 years ago #

I am having the same problem. Upgraded to 3.0 today and now I am unable to install new plugins and upgrade old ones??? I get the same error: Could not create directory. /public_html.

Ideas anyone.
    Thanks.

3. Lynda
    Posted 3 years ago #

I'm also having this problem. :(

4. Lynda
    Posted 3 years ago #

Ok. Deleting my upgrade directory in wp-content and then recreating it, chmod to 777 seemed to fix the problem. Sometimes I have to do that... not sure why.

5. adzleese
    Posted 3 years ago #

Hi Lyndasu

I'm fairly new to WP - Can I ask how do you recreate the upgrade directory? I'm ok with changing permissions.
    Thanks in advance.

6. Lynda
    Posted 3 years ago #

adzleese - through an FTP program, I deleted the directory, then just created a new one. There's usually an option to create a directory in whatever FTP client you're using.

If you're only using a text-based FTP client, then the command is "mkdir"

I hope that helps!

7. adzleese
    Posted 3 years ago #

I'm ok deleting the directory I just wasn't sure about the contents of the directory. So basically I delete "upgrade" and then just recreate the directory with no content? Sorry if I'm being stupid :)

8. Lynda
    Posted 3 years ago #

adzleese - yes! I'm pretty sure the folder is just for temp files when upgrading wordpress or its plugins. If you think you might need the content inside, you can always rename to "upgrade2", etc and then create the new upgrade directory. Empty. :)

9. ezlearn
    Posted 3 years ago #

i have the same problem, the think is that on my others domein up update my wordpress to 3.0 and the update plaugin via wordpress works just fine. Recently i've bought a new domain and i have this issue: Could not create directory. /public_html... there is no response to this problem? I've try to delete de ugrade folder create a new one with the same name, put chmod to 777 and still i have the same problem....is there a way to resolve this?

10. Avo
    Posted 3 years ago #

Yes, I had same issue. I deleted the 'upgrades' folder, recreated and gave it recursive '777' permissions and that solved the issue, for me at least.

11. Jay Collier
    Posted 3 years ago #

Perhaps related: my 3.0 back-end indicates 2 plugins can be upgraded. Plugins > Upgrade available show 2 plugins, but no link to details or upgrade.
    Tried recreating upgrade folder, no change.

After deleting those plugin files and reinstalling, the 2 bubble disappeared, and everything seems fine.

12. miketamb
    Posted 3 years ago #

I was having the same problem as well. I also just deleted the upgrade folder , created a new one and put chmod to 777. It is working fine now.

13. thatgrrl
    Posted 3 years ago #

I'm getting the same problem. Will see if this works. Today my blog is loading as a blank page. Not sure if this is another new problem or related to this.

14. Michael Kupfer
    Posted 3 years ago #

I had the same problem and deleted the upgrade and created it anew with 777, works, great.
    Thanks @lyndasu

15. petehawk
    Posted 3 years ago #

Same problem... deleted the upgrades folder than run a plugin upgrade and a replacement was created with the right permissions

16. kc6715
    Posted 3 years ago #

Thank You!! Had the same problem as everyone else and this fixed it!!!

17. guppydas
    Posted 3 years ago #

I have three sites, that I run and maintain. Till now, I was deleting the specific folder of the upgrade plugin, uploading the zip and extracting it. From Dashboard, re-enabling it. Bit tidiouse for the the connection speed I work with. It worked always.

However I am going to try the above solution of deleting the upgrade folder and recreating and changing permission to 777 and see how it goes. I will post here if that works.

18. guppydas
    Posted 3 years ago #

Ok good news. Out of 7 required to upgrade,

One failed, saying could not remove the older version.

Could not remove the old plugin..

One more failed with the same error

Could not create directory. /public_html.

Rest 5 of them worked fine. No problems.

So I say the solution works. Thanks so much lyndasu

19. rockinfree
    Posted 3 years ago #

Yep, deleting the folder & recreating it worked for me too. Thanks!

20. Reine Marge
    Posted 3 years ago #

Hmm... I did the automatic update and it partially worked, that is to say the dashboard looks different and it does say I am using version 3.0, but the problem is it also says an update failed and needs to be run again.

All my themes and plugins are up to date and working fine. When I try to run the automatic WordPress core update I get an error message saying:
    Could not create directory.: /public_html

This is all very confusing. I have used cpanel/Fantastico Deluxe to update WordPress but it is not showing version 3.0 as an option.

Does anyone have any ideas?

21. sbernado
    Posted 3 years ago #

Hmmm...the proposed solution of deleting the "upgrade" folder and then recreating it and assigning "777" permissions worked for me a few days ago, but now I get the same error when trying to install another plugin.

I do not want to perform this task each time I need to install a plugin :)

Seems to be a larger issue at play. Any other solutions out there?

Thanks - Scott

22. sbernado
    Posted 3 years ago #

@Reine Marge - My host has informed me there is a CPanel issue with WordPress file ownership. I will try to explain this how I understand it, but if I am incorrect, someone please advise:
    At times, file ownership is assigned to "Nobody" within Cpanel (not sure if this is for Fantastico installs only or if manual installs have this too). So when you run the core update, you do not have permission since "Nobody" is assigned permission.

The solution has to do with the hosting server setup (suPHP and PHPsuExec), which I do not have the expertise to explain.

It's frustrating, and from what I am told, not an easy fix. Hope someone out there might have a solution :)

23. Befashionlike
    Posted 3 years ago #

sorry for my bad english, i'm french

I get the same error today,when a try to delete my "Upgrate" directory i see this following error message "Disk quota exceeded" i delete some file, and now evrything is ok.

24. darkferrett
    Posted 3 years ago #

@sbernado

I installed wordpress using fantastico under cpanel and the deleting and remakeing of the upgrade folder with 777 permissions seemed to work for me too. The only thing I would ask is - are we safe creating folders with 777 permissions, are these not security risks (sorry not too up on all this if this seems a silly question)

25. jaksalee
    Posted 3 years ago #

Same problem but haven't solve it yet. I've tried to recreate the upgrade & set to 777, but still error occurs. Then I tried to manually upgrade it but after, the notice shows: "An automated WordPress update has failed to complete - please attempt the update again now."

Please help. Thank you in advance.

26. mrjoker
    Posted 3 years ago #

thank you so much, problem resolved, but still waiting for the reason

27. Reine Marge
    Posted 3 years ago #

OK, so Fantastico deluxe finally had version 3.0 so I updated that way ... and I still get the same notice/error message as jaksalee, and I also get the 'Could not create directory. /public_html' when trying to update themes.

28. m3Rlin
    Posted 3 years ago #

Wow! I don't know why it would matter to remove the wp-content folder first (I tried the chmod 777 many times and that didn't solve the problem) but it worked! Thanks!

29. Chrisdigital
    Posted 3 years ago #

Thanks folks, deleting the upgrade folder and recreating it/ CHMOD 777 worked for me. I was going crazy trying to figure this out.

30. mattheis
    Posted 3 years ago #

Didnt work for me. Upgrading from .0 to .01, I even went through every directory and changed them to 777 to see if that would work, no luck so I changed them all back. On another site, I just upgraded from 2.9 to .01 with out a problem. This sux, Ill have to back everything up and try a manual install.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic