Support » Plugin: SlimStat Analytics » 30%-50% of visitors and pageviews not being recorded

• Resolved NanoWisdoms

(@nanowisdoms)

Thanks for this great plugin, and it does exactly what I want (although a few features from LBAK (http://wordpress.org/plugins/lbak-user-tracking/) which I used for a while would be nice) however my main problem is that compared to several other commercial/free real time stats I’m trying, I notice SlimStat misses about 30%-50% of the posts and/or visits. I know there can be differences of about 10% for various reasons, but I’ve never seen 30%-50% of the visits/pageviews missing. I have the javascript option turned on, but the visits missing are from visitors with javascript active (according to stats collected by other trackers).

Statcounter I find is the gold standard that seems miss very little but it’s plugin for WordPress doesn’t really do much integration with WordPress — I’m specifically looking to track visits by registered user names.

As for what I liked in LBAK was that it could track admin and login pages, and would also let you track GET and POST variables so you could see data entered in forms, login screens etc. Also I could purge specific data from the logs (for example, all visits from a certain IP, or date range, etc.)

If you’ve got any suggestions on how I can get more consistent tracking I’d be very pleased.

http://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-slimstat/

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Plugin Author Jason Crouse

(@coolmann)

Hi there

Are you using any caching plugins on your site? That could be one of the reasons why you are missing some page views in SlimStat.

As for your feature requests, you make an interesting point about tracking get and post data, which I can definitely add to our to-do list, next to the idea of tracking custom cookies.

Same for tracking admin pages. An add-on can be easily implemented to do that.

You can already purge your db based on filters, in SlimStat > Settings > Maintenance.

Thank you for your feedback!
    Camu

Thread Starter NanoWisdoms

(@nanowisdoms)

Yes I’m using HyperCache, but this has always been there and never gave a a problem with LBAK or any other tracking system. Caches are de rigueur these days and plugins must work with them.

(@nanowisdoms)

BTW I tried to roll back to v3.3.2 as others have had problems with 3.3.3 and you had mentioned in another thread 3.3.3 uses a more CPU intensive search for the spy view, and it was the same thing. BTW when I rolled back, I deleted the plugin and reinstalled and all the data and my configuration was gone too. Generally plugins that have extensive configuration don’t delete their settings between uninstalls and reinstalls.

(@nanowisdoms)

Also i’m on WP 3.4.2.

Plugin Author Jason Crouse

(@coolmann)

Yes I’m using HyperCache, but this has always been there and never gave a a problem with LBAK or any other tracking system. Caches are de rigueur these days and plugins must work with them.

As stated on the main page, WP SlimStat works with most caching plugins, and I’ve personally tested it with HyperCache. But please remember to clear your cache so that SlimStat can inject its tracking code into your pages.

BTW when I rolled back, I deleted the plugin and reinstalled and all the data and my configuration was gone too. Generally plugins that have extensive configuration don’t delete their settings between uninstalls and reinstalls.

So you’re saying that I should keep junk in the database HOPING that people will reinstall the plugin? BTW you get a big warning that uninstalling will remove all the DATA (and that includes the settings), so I’m not sure what you’re complaining about.

(@nanowisdoms)

I’ve cleared the cache and will report back. Perhaps in the installation instructions you should mention that the cache should be cleared. I just saw it in the FAQ, but it was in an answer related to “W3 Total Cache/WP Super Cache” which I’m not using so didn’t bother to read, before.

re: “So you’re saying that I should keep junk in the database HOPING that people will reinstall the plugin?”

I’m just saying what many other plugins do. They all have the same issue, some choose to reset all settings between installations others with a lot of configuration don’t and on reinstall fix up the settings if the ones lying around are from an old version that need to be updated to be compatible with a newer version of the plugin.

re: “BTW you get a big warning that uninstalling will remove all the DATA (and that includes the settings), so I’m not sure what you’re complaining about.”

Well there are different interpretations of “data” — I took “all data” to mean the logs, as that is the “data” that slimstat “collects” as opposed to other plugins that don’t have “data” as such. Perhaps you could also say “all settings and logs” will be deleted, or give an option as to what to delete.

The problem is that on some wordpress installations (like mine), I can not upgrade a plugin manually by uploading the zip file unless I first delete the old plugin as otherwise I get an error on the install. So this means every time I upgrade, I’ll lose all my history.

Hello @nanowisdoms you are still running WordPress 3.4.2. You should be upgrading to 3.6.1 as it states that this current version is also a security release for all previous WordPress versions. Please read the following from wordpress.org.

WordPress 3.6.1 is also a security release for all previous WordPress versions and we strongly encourage you to update your sites immediately. It addresses three issues fixed by the WordPress security team:

Block unsafe PHP unserialization that could occur in limited situations and setups, which can lead to remote code execution. Reported by Tom Van Goethem.
    Prevent a user with an Author role, using a specially crafted request, from being able to create a post “written by” another user. Reported by Anakorn Kyavatanakij.
    Fix insufficient input validation that could result in redirecting or leading a user to another website. Reported by Dave Cummo, a Northrup Grumman subcontractor for the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Kind regards

(@nanowisdoms)

Thanks for the tip, however upgrading is not a simple “point and click” operation for the site. The site has some 40 plugins, many of which are customized and so each needs to be rechecked and verified they are compatible with 3.6.1 (and/or newer, compatible versions of the plugins have to be recustomized) so it is not possible to stay perpetually on the “bleeding edge”.

In the meantime, SlimStat seems to be “working as advertised” now — looks like clearing the cache did the trick.

BTW what’s the difference between Known Visitor and Known Users? Known Visitor is in the glossary, but Known Users is not.

Hello Nanowisdoms yes I agree with you in regards to testing before you upgrade to the latest version. I merely posted that comment from wordpress.org to help you understand why the upgrade is important. I always point out to users who are running an old version to upgrade as soon as they can to the new version.

40 plugins sounds like a lot of plugins. Is your site fast or slow with so many plugins.

If your question has been answered would you be able to mark this support thread as resolved.

Kind regards

(@nanowisdoms)

Well seems fast enough. Give it a try yourself (it’s on a shared host, so response can vary):
    http://www.nanowisdoms.org

The reason why there are so many plugins, is I’m not really running a blog, but an archive of speeches and interviews so there are a lot of things (i.e. functionality via plugins) that really make the website a “database application” in it’s own right — for example, see the way the short and extended quotes are handled. Also you will note that all posts throughout the site are in chrono order of the speech or interview date, not the date of posting, and that required a rewrite of most of the SQL queries in the theme and many plugins (like the index for example).

Otherwise I’m satisfied so far and Hypercache seems to be doing a good job at delivering decent response.

Thanks, have marked the thread resolved.

Plugin Author Jason Crouse

(@coolmann)

A vote for SlimStat would be a nice way to say thank you!

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘30%-50% of visitors and pageviews not being recorded’ is closed to new replies.