Support » Fixing WordPress » 3 Questions for School CMS

• Resolved truck808

(@truck808)

First, my three questions are as follows:

1. Is there a way to accomplish this using wordpress?
    2. Is this a job for WPMU
    3. Is this issue better resolved using Drupal?

I am currently designing a school web site using wordpress and the scope has increased in such that each teacher would manage their own classroom page.

The following capabilities are required for each teacher page:
    1. create blog posts with categories (ex homework, )
    2. moderate comments specific to teacher’s page
    3. links w/ teacher’s categories appear on teacher page sidebar
    4. Some entries from various teachers must reappear occasionaly on the web site home page.

I’ve solved a similar issue by using categories and making different categories appear on different pages. However, with up to a potential of 80 teachers, I am concerned that comments, categories, templates etc would be a nightmare.

Thanks for any advice or examples you can give.

Robert

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • 1 and 2. I would recommend using WPMU at this stage. And if you go the WPMU route, develop using version 2.9 beta 2 from trac.
    WP and WPMU codebases are merging by version 3.0 and the set up is just right for a WPMU site where each teacher has his/her own blog and not get claustrophobic with all 80 users with possibility of one making a mistake and deleting another teacher’s post 🙂
    Question is: does your server meet the requirements for WPMU site?

3. Last time I used Drupal was in early 2007 for a development site so I can’t compare at this time. From what I remember I have to say that many users will find that WordPress interface much easier to navigate through than Drupal’s. So how “techy” are your teachers 🙂

Check out WordPress Showcase for examples. Click on links to Education and Colleges on left column.

Thread Starter truck808

(@truck808)

Thanks so much mercime!

You’re welcome. Reminder: click on dropdown on right column to “resolved” and start a new thread for new topic in this forum 🙂

Thread Starter truck808

(@truck808)

Another quick question…..

You recommend using version 2.9 beta 2 from trac. I’m confused. I only see a version for 2.8.6 (http://mu.wordpress.org/download/)

Thanks again.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘3 Questions for School CMS’ is closed to new replies.