WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

3 Install Problems: Already Installed, Username/pw, Links (3 posts)

1. alisonk
    Posted 7 years ago #

I just installed WordPress for the first time.

I followed the 5-minute install directions. All went well until I ran the install script. I discovered that I had to change the host name. I changed the host name, and uploaded the revised wp-config.php.

It worked--the blog was running on my site--but the install script said I had already installed WordPress. I never was assigned a password. I tried typing "admin" but it asks for the password I didn't get.

After poking around to no avail, I deleted everything, then reinstalled.

This time around, I uploaded everything into the root. I again got the "already installed" message, so I again didn't get a password. The blog is there (www.gaminemag.com), but this time, without any styles, and none of the links work.

Where did I go wrong and what should I do?

I used Fetch to upload the files. My web skills and knowledge are minimal. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. moshu
    Posted 7 years ago #

Delete (drop) the tables in the database and try a fresh install. You are trying to install again and again into the same DB and tables - that's why it gives you the already installed message.

Edit, and don't give your folders names like "wordpress.1" - it is not valid!

3. alisonk
    Posted 7 years ago #

Thanks very much for your quick reply and helpful information, moshu. Following the instructions in your post, I

logged on to my host
    accessed mySQL Administration
    clicked on the items in the database
    dropped the tables.

The "wordpress.1" was a remnant from the first install before I knew what I was doing (relatively speaking), so after reinstalling directly into the root, it's now working fine. All my problems were resolved.

Thanks a million!

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic