• Hello!

I have wordpress on my own domain. And I am using a 3-column theme (elmstudio: http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/yoko). Main blog text and a two side panels.

I have a blog in Swedish language and one in English language, and to quickly see the difference of the corrupt Swedish blog theme with a column/sidebar that come “out” of the entire page, here is the Swedish http://canvas.nu/stefanlindblad-blogg/and compare to the one which is correct, the English http://canvas.nu/stefanlindblad-blog
    You ahould quickly notice what is wrong – the 2nd side bar and the 3rd sidebar is both displaced. 2nd sidebar wont show up properly. The archive is all showing its monthly threads/post back to year 2005, and its shown in the end of the page, just under first column/the main blog text.
    I have tried without success to repair the Swedish blog 3 column that now is a corrupt 2 column.
    1th column is my main post´s
    2nd column should have my search box and some other (see e.g. English blog)
    3rd will have, among other things, twitter and little else, but isnt showing up (see correct example English blog)

I do not know how or what caused this problem, but I know that I wrote a blogpost by using the smartphone app WordPress for windows phone, wrote a post and now I have this situation. However, I have used the same app previously without this strange resultat.

I have gone through my admin page, all widgets, and no widget is blank or empty.

Deleted the YOKO theme in admin and filezilla/FTP and then reinstalled it, no result.

Anyone know what is prolemet and how I go about things? Don’t hesitate to be over pedagogical 🙂

Thanks in advance for any tips and advice
    Stefan

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Hi Stefan,

Are you sure that all of the widgets, for the Swedish version, are placed in the correct sections? It looks as though both columns are there (based on the empty space), yet in the Swedish version they are all appearing in the first column.

Check that your widgets are in the correct containers, and also check your theme files to ensure that the widgets are being inserted into the correct html area (div).

Lastly, you may want to validate your page and check to make sure that only necessary tags are used, and that all tags are closed properly. After a quick glance at the code it looks like there may be issues there, which could have a negative impact on your page loading correctly.

W3 Website validation

Thread Starter theillustrator

(@theillustrator)

Hi websitehelp,

First big thanks for the help!

I checked again after your replay.
    In “Widgets” I see both Sidebar 1 and Sidebar 2. They seem to be there where they should be. “Apperance>Widgets> and then the “Available widgets” and then Sidebar 1 and sidebar 2. For example in Sidbar 1 I have a search field and a English flag for readers who like to go to the english language blog. Neither is shown in the online column. So weird.

When you say “Check that your (my) widgets is in the right container”, thats the admin page right? where we drag and drop the widgets?

I have never validated a wordpress page so wouldnt know where to start but will try the link you attached W3 Website validation.

BEFORE any problem occured a few months agio, I did move my entire blog from google blogspot, export/imported it to my current domaine-wordpress. So unfortunatly google code etcetera seem to lurk around the code, but it havent done anything wrong priot to this situation I have today mentioned here.

The empty space show the two columns/sidebars is there – in the admin page, but its looking messed up in the online version.

(@theillustrator)

Would you know which of these files W3 Website Validation reads?
    I dont seem to be able to cath the correct file via the online admin page. If I need to go via FTP and grab the file, would you know which file and win which folder?

Thanks regardlessly a lot! Most appreciated

(@theillustrator)

ALMOST SOLVED THE ISSUE!!!
    I found an article on the internet searching for “WordPress Sidebar problems” and came t a website where he he suggested to temporarily make individual posts unpubliced. I word frase it temporarily make a post into a “Draft”. Go to the post in your admin, open the post and click “edit”. Choose “Draft”. Click “Update”. Look at your wordpress and it looks like it should.

What is now UNRESOLVED is 1), this must be a bug. 2) Its difficult to go through a post causing this issue, trying to find a undisclosed <DIV> or something causing this, simply by click the post tab for HTML.

But I nwo have to edit my post quite a bit which have external linking in it, trying to clean it up abnd hope to keep the the post.

http://www.technipages.com/wordpress-sidebar-shows-at-bottom-of-the-page.html

I quote “…The problem might be with one of the individual posts displayed on the page. This happened to me when I copied and pasted … The post turned out to have an unclosed </DIV> … Try temporarily setting each post on the page to Unpublished to see which one is causing the issue.
    //END QUOTE

THANK YOU MATT!

Stefan

(@theillustrator)

As I said, its still not resolved. Funny enough everytime I delete/place in draft, the post I wrote all sidebars etc. looks great online.

But when I wrote a completelt new post, it all whent back to crazy looking again. I wonder if wordpress have a default amount of post able to be published on the main page.

I will let you know what I come up with as a resolution to this problem.

I wouldnt mind if any wordpress programmers read this and could chip in. I know its volontary, but I wouldnt mind.

(@theillustrator)

I read another solution said to resolve this sidebar falling down, http://techstroke.com/wordpress-blog-sidebar-drops-down-problem-solution/

I QUOTE// I still cant believe that this problem had a very simple solution , just go to your WordPress Dashboard then to Settings->Writing-> and select the checkbox that says “WordPress should correct invalidly nested XHTML automatically” as shown in the figure below , END QUOTE

But this still show not to be the solution to me. It still fall down when I add another post.

(@theillustrator)

RESOLVED – FOR NOW!

My solution to this Sidebar falling down issue WordPress 3.4.2 was that I changed the amount of posts shown on my page from default 10 to 8 instead. And that did it!

So try my solution if it works for you too.

Go to Admin>Settings>Read
    Change amount of post shown on your page from 10 to 8.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘3 column theme broken, 2 column, what's wrong?’ is closed to new replies.