• Hi. I’m rewriting an old site I made into wordpress for my kid’s school. I used a 3 column template so I can have vertical menus on each page. Is it possible to make the front page a 2 column? I can see the option in the ‘page’ area of using ‘default’ of one column but I would like my right hand side widgets to appear on the front page but without the gap on the left hand side of the home page. Thanks for your assistance!

http://www.mozinc.net/wordpress/

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • OK. If I understand you correctly, what you want to do is to remove the left hand (empty) sidebar and have the main content occupy the space currently occupied by the main content plus the left sidebar.

The first thing to do is to remove the sidebar and see what the result looks like.

Since this is a static home page, WP will load front-page.php if it exists, or index.php if it doesn’t (see the WP Template Hierarchy).

If you have a front-page.php file, you need to remove the call to get_sidebar() in that page (or a page called by it). If you don’t have a front-page.php file, the easiest thing to do is probably to create one and copy in the contents of the index.php file and then remove the call to get_sidebar().

It’s really important that you do all this in a child theme, by the way, if at all possible.

When you’ve made your changes the sidebar will no longer appear on the home page. If the layout looks OK, then we’re done. If it doesn’t, we may need to mess a bit with the CSS to get it displaying properly.

HTH

PAE

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • The topic ‘3 column template, 2 column on one page’ is closed to new replies.