Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

2.9.2. 3.0 failure. (29 posts)

1. Patirick
    Posted 4 years ago #

I have a serious failure guys... HELP!

Upgraded to 3.0

got this afterwards:

Fatal error: Call to a member function add_rewrite_tag() on a non-object in /home/k8cpa/public_html/wp-includes/taxonomy.php on line 289

What do I do?

HELP!

2. First try turning off plugins. If you can't get in to the admin side, just rename the plugins folder.

3. Patirick
    Posted 4 years ago #

I can't even run from the backend...

4. If you can't get in to the admin side, just rename the plugins folder.

Like via SSH or FTP.

5. Patirick
    Posted 4 years ago #

Too late now, already trying to reftp old WordPress 2.9.2 and restore old WP_SQL...

this sucks. You guys need to develop a system that checks plugs-ins an disables non-working one's or something...

I am not a happy camper with WordPress right now.. Matt sucks, I'm sorry.

6. The problem is that there are more plugins than testers. 9,997 plugins. And some of them outright state they've not been tested with 3.0

It's on YOU to check that the plugins YOU want to use MIGHT work with the new version. At a guess, anything 'Compatible up to:' 2.9.2 SHOULD be okay. If it was last updated a year ago or more, probably not.

7. Patirick
    Posted 4 years ago #

Well, at this point, I'm offically screwed, If I cannot get my QSL database to restore to my last back up... I'm trying to upload the thing and it's just sitting there. I am ftping too, so that might be problem. farking comcast... grrrr.

8. Patirick
    Posted 4 years ago #

Yeah, it's always the users fault, WordPress never does anything wrong or never takes responsibility for their software and it's shortcomings.

Nothing ever changes.

9. JyoNah
    Posted 4 years ago #

Ipstenu: Just wanted to say a quick thank you, I had a similar problem and renaming the plugins folder worked. But I don't know where to go from here.... Should I do something from the back end before I change the plugins folder's name back?

10. @Patirick - You should do one at a time. The DB one always loads slower to wait till that's done and THEN copy back up the 2.9.2 files. Breathe deep. You'll get there.

If you try the upgrade again, turn off ALL your plugins first and then upgrade.

@JyoNah Make a new plugins folder and copy the plugins, one at a time, back into it. At some point, your site will break again, and you'll know it's that plugin :) Or it's just an issue with upgrading while the plugins are there.

11. Patirick
    Posted 4 years ago #

Just finished the restore of the 2.9.2 WordPress software. Now trying to get the SQL Database to restore. and I thought it restored once and now getting a blank White screen.

This stinks.

12. jennaortiz26
    Posted 4 years ago #

Patrick, you're a nasty one aren't you? Maybe you should take the common advice of testing on a subdomain before upgrading your main site. It's open source software. Free. Stop whining!

13. Andrew Nacin
    Lead Developer
    Posted 4 years ago #

Fatal error: Call to a member function add_rewrite_tag() on a non-object in /home/k8cpa/public_html/wp-includes/taxonomy.php on line 289

That shouldn't have worked in 2.9 either, though you'd avoid the error. You have a plugin which is calling register_taxonomy() with URL rewriting, prior to us actually getting the rewriting module up and running. There's a right way, and the plugin is doing it the wrong way.

14. Fatal error: Call to a member function add_rewrite_tag() on a non-object in /public_html/wp-includes/taxonomy.php on line 289

FYI, that error after upgrade is caused by the Podcasting Plugin by TSG. Reset your plugins, don't reactivate it, and find an alternative plugin.

15. dgookin
    Posted 4 years ago #

Hey! This fixed the issue that I had: Sour plug-ins.

Part of the manual upgrading process is to disable plugins. It would be nice to do that for the automatic process, but again: I appreciate that this information was here and readily available to deal with my blog. THANK YOU!

16. gvwriter
    Posted 4 years ago #

I had the same problem.
    Renamed the Plugins folder to "plugins_0ld." After doing so, all of the plugins were automatically deactivated. -- COOL!

Since all of the plugins were automatically deactivated, I went back in and renamed the plugins folder "plugins"

I went through each plugin as prescribed here and reactivated.
    Voila...
    It worked.
    However, I'm not able to tell you which one of my plugins caused the problem as this actually gave me the chance to do some house keeping and I deleted a few.

@Patirick...
    I understand your outrage, believe me, however, complaining here will usually only get you pushback.

17. mlambert
    Posted 4 years ago #

@patrick this is open source software! Did you pay anything for it??? No, you should be thankful for the amount of documentation, forums, etc... that there is for this FREE service.

@Ipstenu thanks for the help, your solution worked. Your help is VERY appreciated.

18. alisondoyle
    Posted 4 years ago #

Patrick,For future reference Blank white screen... If its from the front end that usually just means you need to go to the backend and re-select your theme. Or the Default theme is not in the themes directory (or has a different name).

I'd be curious to know if you even bothered to try to rename the plugins folder as it seems to have worked for everyone else (including myself), but eh, whatevs.

WordPress Rules!

19. Larrian
    Posted 3 years ago #

I upgraded from 2.9.2 to 3.0.1 and got white screen...I renamed the plugins and got the admin panel back....I deleted new plugins...no change...I changed themes....no change...so I see everything in the admin panel but nothing on the site itself but a white screen. Another program is working fine on the site...any ideas? Thanks for your help.

20. govpatel
    Posted 3 years ago #

Did you try refresh and I hope you did not delete the default twenty ten theme.

As you can log in admin your theme should open.

If this your wordpress http://www.healthcrunchies.com/ then it opened fine here.

21. Larrian
    Posted 3 years ago #

Not only refreshed...flushed dns...switched themes to default twenty ten...even went and reinstalled 2.9.2 and no change...no..jammiesjams.com is the site in trouble. Thanks!

22. govpatel
    Posted 3 years ago #

Internal server errors (error 500) are often caused by plugin or theme function conflicts, so if you have access to your admin panel, try deactivating all plugins. If you don't have access to your admin panel, try manually resetting your plugins. If that resolves the issue, reactivate each one individually until you find the cause.

Looks aready done this step.

If that does not resolve the issue, try switching to the Default theme (WordPress 1.5 - 2.9.2) or the Twenty Ten theme (WordPress 3.0 and higher) to rule-out a theme-specific issue. If you don't have access to your admin panel, access your server via FTP or SFTP, navigate to /wp-content/themes/ and rename the directory of your currently active theme. This will force the Default theme (WordPress 1.5 - 2.9.2) or the Twenty Ten theme (WordPress 3.0 and higher) to activate and hopefully rule-out a theme-specific issue.

If that does not resolve the issue, it's possible that a .htaccess rule could be the source of the problem. To check for this, access your server via FTP or SFTP and rename the .htaccess file. If you can't find a .htaccess file, make sure that you have set your FTP or SFTP client to view invisible files.

If you weren’t able to resolve the issue by either resetting your plugins and theme or renaming your .htaccess file, we may be able to help, but we'll need a more detailed error message. Internal server errors are usually described in more detail in the server error log. If you have access to your server error log, generate the error again, note the date and time, then immediately check your server error log for any errors that occurred during that time period. If you don’t have access to your server error log, ask your hosting provider to look for you.

23. Larrian
    Posted 3 years ago #

None of those suggestions made any difference..however, after hours of inspection, I think I know why SOME of us are having problems and what is the common thread: wordpress is not being run from the root directory of the site...and the automatic upgrade is overwriting the index.php. Once I did the following:
    Change the following and save the file. Change the line that says:
    require('./wp-blog-header.php');
    to the following, using your directory name for the WordPress core files:
    require('./wordpress/wp-blog-header.php');
    the site came up...then I had to fix the permalinks that also were overwritten....once complete..everything runs fine. Hope this helps others.

24. govpatel
    Posted 3 years ago #

are you using wordpress from a folder and not from root.

25. Larrian
    Posted 3 years ago #

Thats correct..running it from a folder not root. So the index.php was overwritten and the permalinks were reset in the upgrade. I think wordpress needs to include this information for those who are not running the program from the root so they dont have the same frustration and loss of site issues with each dreaded upgrade.

26. I've auto-upgraded many times from a sub-folder blog without any issues (also from subfolder blog that acts like it's in root) and never had that problem. if you can reproduce it at the next upgrade, would you consider opening a trac ticket so it can be looked into further?

27. Larrian
    Posted 3 years ago #

Sure...mine is acting like it is a root also

28. luckylake
    Posted 3 years ago #

Like everyone else I upgraded and the error came up. I get the fact that there is a plugin issue. I know about zero about this and the guy I hired to build my site has since stopped doing it. I need this site up asap. Where are the plugins that I need to move. I think I can follow the steps that people have posted here, but not sure where to be looking. In my computer plugins there is nothing about wordpress or an update date that matches. I am hosted by netfirms, is that where I need to look. Very frustrated.

29. govpatel
    Posted 3 years ago #

If your website is live then it not on your computer every thing is on server you need log in on server you need have some knowledge on how manage server or a ftp.

If you want meet in my conference room by clicking on my name and click on red online button enter name no need of password.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic

Tags