WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

[resolved] 2.8.1 Upgrade Breaks Site (8 posts)

1. gmilburn
    Posted 5 years ago #

Just upgraded to 2.8.1 - upgrade got stuck on "upgrading database" and now my site is completely unresponsive. Waited, waited, waited, still hanging...

Any requests to the site simply say "Briefly unavailable for scheduled maintenance. Check back in a minute.".

Any ideas? I hope my database isn't hosed here!

My site can be seen at http://www.gmilburn.ca

2. MichaelH
    Posted 5 years ago #

I hope my database isn't hosed here!

That shouldn't happen, especially if you did a backup. Please review WordPress Backups so you never need to worry about something being hosed!

If you don't have access to your admin section to retry the upgrade then you may have to manually install the upgrade as explained in Upgrading WordPress.

If you do have access to your admin section, try deactivating all plugins, then redo the automatic upgrade.

3. gmilburn
    Posted 5 years ago #

Did a manual upgrade, everything worked - except there was line of text across the top saying "An automated WordPress update has failed to complete - please attempt the update again now."

Went to update, did an auto-reinstall, and... same damn issue. Hung at database upgrade.

So again, did a manual upgrade, and now I'm back in action, but that line of text is still there. My question - does this represent something important I haven't done, or is it just a flag that hasn't gotten flipped or something?

4. adamh
    Posted 5 years ago #

Is there a .maintenance file in the wordpress root folder? If there is, rename or remove it and it should get rid of the message.

5. gmilburn
    Posted 5 years ago #

Thanks adam, worked like a charm. Everything is up and running again, many thanks to both you and Michael.

6. adamh
    Posted 5 years ago #

No worries, I think it was Michael I originally learnt that from!

7. ldallara
    Posted 5 years ago #

Help... Not sure where to begin ??
    auto update didn't work.
    so I manually updated to 2.8.1 and none of the settings, plugins, or dbase got transferred, I'm not sure where to begin. I have dbase backup.
    I started adding and configuring manually, but there must be an easier way?

TIA
    Lou
    http://louisdallara.com/wordpress2/

8. billydec
    Posted 5 years ago #

I also had to move the .maintenance file to get the site back up and running again. I did an auto update and the site went down saying "Briefly unavailable for scheduled maintenance. Check back in a minute."

After a slight panic and a google search which brought me to this page - things are back to normal.

thanks guys

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic