WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

[resolved] 2.8 to 2.8.1 Upgrade yields Blank Screens (12 posts)

1. adum
    Posted 5 years ago #

Hey,

I just did the auto upgrade to 2.8.1 from 2.8 and I am getting blank screens everywhere. I tried to log in and am getting a totally blank screen.

I searched and another topic said to rename the themes folder so I did that and I was able to log in. I then renamed the themes folder back to its original name but I get all blank screens in the dashboard again.

I backed up my database with WP Backup and e-mailed it to myself before upgrading so I am not too worried, but I would like to get this fixed as soon as possible.

Thanks for any help.

-Adam

EDIT: Renamed the plugins folder to "plugins.hold" and created a new plugins folder. I was able to log in successfully, but what am I supposed to do now? I changed "plugins.hold" back to "plugins" and I get blank screens again.

2. MichaelH
    Posted 5 years ago #

You mention renaming the themes folder and the plugins folder...which one is it?

Note: In theory, if you renamed the plugins folder and logged in, then you shouldn't have any 'active' plugins.

3. adum
    Posted 5 years ago #

I renamed both at separate times, but currently themes is the default "themes" and I am copying each plugin from plugin.hold to the new plugin folder to see if I can tell if there is a plugin causing the problem.

Is this the right thing to do?

Thanks for you help. :)

4. MichaelH
    Posted 5 years ago #

Is this the right thing to do?

Sounds good.

5. adum
    Posted 5 years ago #

So far "Simple Tags" causes a totally blank screen when I activate it and "Yet Another Related Posts Plugin YARPP" causes just the plugins screen to show nothing.

EDIT: "HeHeHunter's Infolinks" and "WordPress Mobile Edition" also cause a blank plugins sreen.

Simple Tags looks like it was the main problem, but those other 3 seem to have some issues too.

Everything seems to be good now and my site is back up and running, so I am pretty relieved!

6. MountainStream
    Posted 5 years ago #

I am having the same issue, but the blank screens are only on Firefox not in the admin panel or on Internet Explorer. I am using Atahualpa 3.4 as my theme. I have deactivated two plug-ins,and still content is blank on all the pages. What the heck is going on and how do I fix it?

7. MichaelH
    Posted 5 years ago #

Clear browser cache.

8. MountainStream
    Posted 5 years ago #

I have cleared the browser cache several times on Firefox. Still the same issues. Last night around midnight (CDT US) I rebooted my computer and the problem went away. This morning I signed onto the admin panel and then to BLVD Status website to see what activity I had overnight and there was none, so I went to see if the site was working and found all the screens blank on Firefox of any content. Tags, dates and headlines appeared in blog posts, but photos and copy gone. Page titles there but copy and photos gone.

Once again this is only on Firefox. Everything seem fine on IE8.0.

The plug ins I deactivated where WP-Cumulus and GD Star Rating. Because they and WP-Polls are the only two active widgets on the site itself all the rest are behind the scenes.

9. MountainStream
    Posted 5 years ago #

I cleared the cache. Shutdown Firefox and reopened Firefox. Content and pics are there. I reactivated the two plug ins and things seem to be working well so far. Cross my fingers.

10. lifeischoice
    Posted 5 years ago #

I had same issue and solved it by going into my settings.php and increased my memory size to 128M...problem solved.

11. mrzippy13
    Posted 5 years ago #

I'm running Atahualpa 3.4 on my blog, and after upgrading to WordPress 2.8.1, I can't access my admin panel. The top blue bar loads, but nothing else loads. I've tried clearing my cache, but that hasn't worked, and I'm having the problem in both Firefox and IE.

What should I be doing????

I should also note that I upgraded to 2.8.1 on a different site running the Atahualpa theme and had no such problem.

Edit: I should also note my website (www.bloggingblue.com) seems to be working just fine; I just can't get my admin panel to function.

12. mrzippy13
    Posted 5 years ago #

And if I try to rename my plugins folder, I get the following error message:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected $ in /home/content/m/r/z/mrzippy13/html/wp-admin/menu-header.php on line 138

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic

Tags

No tags yet.