Support » Installing WordPress » 2.8 Problems and Solutions (FAQ)

• Insure backups are completed before doing the upgrade
    1. See WordPress Backups

Can’t login to deactivate all plugins
    1. Read How to deactivate all plugins when not able to access the administrative menus?

Try these things to resolve problems with Visual Editor and editor tool bar
    1. Delete or refresh the browser cache

2. If using Gears, disable it and re-enable it again

3. Delete wp-admin and wp-includes directories and upload fresh copies from a new(important) install package or reinstall automatically

4. Visit http://yoursite.com/wp-includes/js/tinymce/wp-tinymce.php and look for any PHP errors or warnings at the top. If there are any try contacting your hosting provider to resolve them or try the next step. Of course replace yoursite.com with your domain

5. A number of plugins have been reported to present problems so deactivate all plugins and reactivate one-by-one to find culprit. Any plugin that uses its own javascripts might be a possible candidate.

6. Add define( ‘CONCATENATE_SCRIPTS’, false ); near the top of wp-config.php. That would make WordPress admin run slower, so can try removing it in a few days and testing again (this would eliminate any stale network cache)

7. Some people also reported success redoing the upgrade via Tools->Upgrade->Re-install automatically, then clearing the browser cache.

8. Try another browser

9. Confirm that Your Profile, “Disable the visual editor when writing”, is NOT checked.

Try these things to resolve problems with Widgets such as not able to drag and drop
    1. A number of plugins have been reported to present problems so deactivate all plugins and reactivate one-by-one to find culprit

2. In Appearance->Widgets under Screen options, try the Enable Accessibility Mode

3. Delete or refresh the browser cache

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of xxxxxxxx bytes exhausted
    If deactivating plugins doesn’t work try one of these methods for increasing the amount of memory a PHP script may consume

1. If you have access to your PHP.ini file, change the line in PHP.ini
    If your line shows 32M try 64M:
    memory_limit = 64M ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (64MB)

2. If you don’t have access to PHP.ini try adding this to an .htaccess file:
    php_value memory_limit 64M

3. Try adding this line to your wp-config.php file:
    Increasing memory allocated to PHP
    define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '64M');

4. Talk to your host.

Upgraded, can’t login and getting error message
    In a few cases, the error message reports what plugin file is causing the problem so rename or delete the plugin folder, then try login again.

A post is repeatedly displayed on the blog’s main page
    Likely a problem caused by a plugin so deactivate all plugins and reactivate one-by-one to determine the culprit.

Getting Warning: gzinflate() [function.gzinflate]: data error when doing the upgrade
    1. Try redoing the upgrade via Tools->Upgrade->Re-install automatically
    2. If that fails, disable all plugins and perform a manual upgrade (see Upgrading WordPress.

Upgrade causing error 500s
    1. Deactivate all plugins and redo upgrade.
    2. If necessary, perform a manual upgrade (see Upgrading WordPress.

Blank admin pages after login
    1. Deactivate all plugins. See How to deactivate all plugins when not able to access the administrative menus?
    2. If necessary, rename theme folder in wp-content/themes to cause WordPress Default theme to be place into service

Blank site after upgrade
    1. Deactivate all plugins. See How to deactivate all plugins when not able to access the administrative menus?
    2. If necessary, rename your theme folder in wp-content/themes to cause WordPress Default theme to be place into service, then see if there’s an upgrade for your theme

Getting Fatal error: Cannot use object of type WP_Error as array
    1. Problem has been reported with the Options and Structure theme so look for upgrades
    2. Change to the WordPress Default theme if necessary

Tags are not saved
    1. If you using hyperdb, make sure to update it.

Viewing 15 replies - 46 through 60 (of 111 total)
  • Better check your rss widget. I just discovered that the rss feed URL on mine was disabled during the upgrade disaster. I wonder if Google and Yahoo will ever love me like they did before this hit my authority site.

My traffic went down by 2/3 when this mess happened to my blog. I finally got it working again but it has cost dearly. I was wondering why there was such a sudden drop in traffic. The rss feed URL that got dumped explains a lot.

I lost loads of traffic which means I last loads of revenue.

Let me add the WP Security Scan plugin to the list of plugins that mess up the new 2.8 widget admin section. However, it’s worth noting that the new 2.8.1 maintenance release is already addressing a number of issues mentioned here (http://wordpress.org/development/2009/06/wordpress-2-8-1-beta-1/) including greenshady’s (Justin Tadlock) older category call function.

I followed the advice of de-activating all the plug ins and re-activating them one by one.

On my blog, the culprit was the Default Post Content plug in. I am going to let the author know that he has a problem with his plug in and it needs to be updated.

I’ve tried as many of these things as I am (technically) able to… The problem for me is that I CAN add pages or posts, but I CAN’T add any content to them via the editor… any suggestions welcome.

Oh, and I can’t select the HTML tab in the editor either…

Hi, can someone please help me?

I set up a blog about a week ago and did a upgrade to 2.8 via the GoDaddy Hosting Connection. I have no idea on the technical stuff and don’t even know where the database is and how to access it, let alone do all those rectification mentioned here. I did not backup anything because I don’t know where and how to do it that’s is why I chose to have GoDaddy Hosting Connection to do my upgrade thinking they have the technical expertise.

Now my site is gone and I can’t even log into my dashboard. I have this error.
    500 – Internal server error.
    There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

Please help asap.

Have them restore you to a backup.

I’m still having problems with this stupid “drag ‘n drop” widget arrangement. When I try to do so, the widget grows to page width and won’t drop into the sidebar. What was the problem with the old “add” link? Seemed to work much better and easier. I’m totally disgusted with 2.8!

@larryinvegas

You can still do the “Add” link method by enabling accessibility mode in Screen options. That’s what I’m using now because of the “drag ‘n drop” problem.

Thanks, menoob! Drag ‘n drop seems to work on my home computer, although it takes forever. But when I tried it on a computer at work…the widget tab would grow to screen length like I explained and wouldn’t even drop into the sidebar. I appreciate your suggestion.

@larryinvegas – I had to do what menoob said on one site as well, and it does alleviate the problem.

I also have a new site where I can’t assign a page order. They only display in alphabetical order no matter what numbers I assign to them in the “Order” box. Client is complaining about that. I may try putting his site on the 2.8.1-dev update. Lightbox2 is not working on that site either, and when I click the Search Plugins button on that site nothing happens. I already tried deactivating & reactivating all of the plugins, and using a different browser. I have not tried re-uploading the scripts maually. I guess it can’t hurt.

I am having a problem with images not displaying from within WP after the upgrade to 2.8. I just get boxes with ?’s in them. If I click on the box and choose to view the image in another tab or new window, it views fine.

I have downgraded back to 2.7 and the problem remains and have now upgraded to 2.8.1 and still the problem remains. Anyone else having this issue?

BTW, my website is http://www.TechnoEsq.com.

For those who need helps to deactivate the plugins via phpMyAdmin if you cant access it via admin dashboard, I have provided tutorial with picture guide for you.

Don’t worry, it is easy.

Tutorial deactivate plugins via phpMyAdmin

Baker

(@rolandbaker)

I agree that the 2.8 download should be removed from the WordPress site and especially the “upgrade available” from the admin. control panel.

I’m working on a new install. So far the main issue is Tags not being available when I create a Post. I get “No Tags Found!”, even though they’ve been created.

I see the mention of HyperDB as a possible culprit. How do I check for this? I’m hosting on GoDaddy, problem is consistent with latest versions of FireFox, Safari & Opera (Mac). Hopefully this can get worked out.

Viewing 15 replies - 46 through 60 (of 111 total)
  • The topic ‘2.8 Problems and Solutions (FAQ)’ is closed to new replies.